what sized chain ring and sprocket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I ride 48 x 14 round N London way not to many hills some can be a bit hard, but i still spin out going downhill, I think it's a case of trial and error, You can pick up cheap fixie cogs so not really a problem, And as long as you have horizontal drop outs you will not have to many problems with chain length, A good start point would be 48 x16 then go from there. :okay:
Good point

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

If you use this but swap to MPH at RPM it should give you an idea of what to use.
Now that is what i was looking for, just to get a good start...thanks

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Without wishing to complicate things, everyone has different maximum cadences.
This is very true and I guess my comfy cadence is around 70 with a max of 90ish...before I feel like I am bobbing out the saddle (never actually measured my max cadence but I know what I am happy cruising at so have just added a bit here) I know we are supposed to ride at around 85-90 but I tend not to and select a higher gear...generally

I suppose I am looking for a ratio that allows me to reach 21mph with a cadence of 90rpn...on normal sized rims

D

Deleted member 1258

This is where riding fixed is a little different, your maximum cadence rises with experience, having short legs and short cranks helps a bit too, which I don't.
Its strange how it can work, I'm vertically challenged and always descend better on short cranks. I'm running fixed, a Genesis Flyer, on a 46x18 and 170 cranks and run at 19-20 mph on the flat at about 100rpm cadence and start to get uncomfortable descending above 30mph.

Last edited by a moderator:

Texan

Regular
i am also vertically stunted but need to post this as i need 5 posts to buy some goodies,hope you don't mind

Mod note: I hope you realise that's cheating! Just as well I've got a sense of humour....

Last edited by a moderator:

3narf

For whom the bell dings
This is very true and I guess my comfy cadence is around 70 with a max of 90ish...before I feel like I am bobbing out the saddle (never actually measured my max cadence but I know what I am happy cruising at so have just added a bit here) I know we are supposed to ride at around 85-90 but I tend not to and select a higher gear...generally

I suppose I am looking for a ratio that allows me to reach 21mph with a cadence of 90rpn...on normal sized rims

If you are bobbing up and down, your saddle might be a bit low...

ayceejay

Guru
Another question - are we talking about a single speed freewheel or a fixed wheel. If single the downhill won't be a problem so select a ratio for the flat and uphill. the problem is that freewheels are not so readily available as fixed cogs.

ozboz

Guru
When I get my old 28' frame up and running it is my intention to use this as a single speed , I was wondering the same for me , on my road bike I can comfortably ride on the big ring and mid on the rear , in a reply earlier it was said if you have no option to change then somehow you will manage , I will go with that at first , it will be a heavy bike by today's standards so I will have to compensate for that in some way

zigzag

Veteran
i would suggest using big ring up front and then select the rear cog/freewheel accordingly. this way you will have more options if you want to have a higher gear, also big chainring feels a bit smoother and the chains last longer (but the whole setup adds a bit of weight, if that's important). when i ride single speed i usually have 52x16 gear as it gives me comfortable cruising speed of 22mph at 85rpm, hills are fine as long as they are not super steep. i used to gear down to 52x20 to work on spinning technique, but these days just use my geared bike with cadence sensor for that, keeping the cadence at around 110rpm.
i would recommend 52x18; you'd be going at 19mph at 85rpm.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It's down to individual experience, but higher cadence is generally considered better. I'm happy at 90-110" and can manage in excess of 150 on downhills (it used to be well over 200, but I'm older than I used to be). I'm also in Devon, where there are HILLS, so factor that into my advice.

Top Bottom