What sleeping bag for touring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
OK, I succumbed. I weighed my Blacks Quantum 300 and inc the compression sac it is 1181g (the website claims the bag is 900g). So I have ordered a Minim Ultra with zip from PHD at £201 including postage. For that price I could have stayed in B&Bs!

This is the baby. http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=26_60&products_id=198 Says 345g, but maybe the zip adds a bit. Either way it will be at least 600g less than the old one!

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
dragon72 said:
I swear by my Softie Merlin made by Snugpak. It packs down to the size of a small loaf of bread, weighs nothing and has kept me warm down to about 5 degrees C. IMHO it's the bag for touring. Not cheap though. I think I spent £65 on mine.

Another vote for the softie. I've got the summer super small and lightweight one and the three season one for when it gets colder. On a cold summer night I just put on my Endura cycling trousers, socks and a T shirt and am warm enough with no weight penalty.

andym

Über Member
jay clock said:
OK, I succumbed. I weighed my Blacks Quantum 300 and inc the compression sac it is 1181g (the website claims the bag is 900g). So I have ordered a Minim Ultra with zip from PHD at £201 including postage. For that price I could have stayed in B&Bs!

This is the baby. http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=26_60&products_id=198 Says 345g, but maybe the zip adds a bit. Either way it will be at least 600g less than the old one!

Yep I've just got mine from PHD. Haven't been able to try it out in earnest, but if it's as good as the Ultra down gilet then it will have been money well spent.

3tyretrackterry

although i have never bike toured i have spent many nights in sleeping bags throughout my time and i would look at the military line of sleeping bags the current issue ones are quite heavy and large but the 58 pattern bags would be ok and the snugpak range are superb. a german para sleeping bag is good as it has arms in the top but no legs plus you can unzip the bottom half and wear it like a jacket. One other option could be to use a suit like fishermen use inside a bivvy bag. my suggestion would be not to skimp on this item as being cold in the night and not sleeping well could really ruin your tour.
HTH

andym

Über Member
jay clock said:
Andy, how quick did they deliver?

Three weeks - ish. In my case it took a bit longer than that. The website says to get in touch if you need it for a specific date.

Last time I toured france in august I took a £5 square bag from tescos

Generally early doors april/may in most places and september october in higher latitudes I use a NF blue Kazoo down bag with a liner if necessary - alps and central europe in the summer an ancient sythetic caravan rated to -10 with a full length zip - my preference unless I expect it to be very cold is the synthetic bag - difficult to keep the downbag from becoming clammy if cycling every day

andrew_s

Legendary Member
jay clock said:
Andrew's reply about the Lippi Selk bags is unfortunately wrong in one fundamental way. He quotes 1950g and 1750g and 1250g. On the website those are the figures but they are GSM - ie grammes per square metre which is VERY different from actual weight. I have emailed them for the info.....will post if I get a reply

GSM is meaningless when it also says total weight.
Want to take a bet that it's the website that's wrong and the weights are as I said? (having forgotten to change GSM into g for the final cut & paste).

jay clock

Massive member
I did get a reply. They said "about 2kg" for the LS One. That is monstrously heavy. Even the down one is 1250 if they mean total weight. They are probably fine for car camping, but less so for hiking and biking. Looks cosy though!

oxford_guy

Über Member
jags said:
alpkit have just got in pipedream bags.

I've just received a brand new Alpkit Pipedream 400 (in a fetching shade of "Rocket Green"), haven't tried it outdoors yet, but it looks really well made, is extremely light and lofts out really well. Comes with three bags - storage bag, lightweight stuff sac and compression sac, which is really handy. Seems great value for money (£130), as are the "Thin Airic" sleeping mats at £25.

GrahamG

Guru
porkypete said:
This is about the lightest & smallest pack size you will see.... but as you can see it is not a cheapie.

I can heartily recommend PHD. I have a Minim 300 that I got in their sale last year, but that would be too warm for summer in France.

PHD now have a clearance sale on - some good discounts to be had.

Top Bottom