What spoke wrench?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Got 3 bikes

2x USA brands - Mongoose 2008 and Giant 2009 with Alex Rims

1x 2008 Raleigh with Xero Rims

Not sure what size spoke wrench to get.

Grasen

GIANT is a Taiwan company (not a cheap usa brand).
the size of a spoke key is dependent on what size nipples you have. Nothing to do with the rims.

Got 3 bikes

2x USA brands - Mongoose 2008 and Giant 2009 with Alex Rims

1x 2008 Raleigh with Xero Rims

Not sure what size spoke wrench to get.

OP
OP
Alembicbassman

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
This is something that's really starting to annoy me about bikes.

I'm trying to get a toolset to do my own maintenance, but there's no difinitive standard for anything.

Imperial and metric exist side by side.

Every manufacturer has their own little quirks.

The manufacturers aren't very helpful, they don't reply to e-mails.

Matthames

Über Member
If you want to know exactly what spoke key to get then you will have to measure the nipples. However, you will either need a vernier calliper or a micrometer to be able to know exactly what size you need as there is only 0.2 of a millimetre difference. It is enough difference that if you used the wrong size you could end up rounding off the nipples. I would only really recommend using precision measuring instruments if you have them already and know how to use them. A cheaper alternative would be to buy a set with different sizes. Starting with the smallest working your way up till you get one that is a snug fit and has very little if not any play.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
A cheaper alternative would be to buy a set with different sizes. Starting with the smallest working your way up till you get one that is a snug fit and has very little if not any play.

+1 - I have just googled 'spoke Key' - 1427 results in 'shopping' - take your pick ..........

ps - if any of your wheels have bladed spokes it will be a good idea to also acquire a tool to hold the spoke while tightening the nipple - but again the spokes come in various thicknesses .........

battered

Guru
I have one with about 8 different sizes, it's very useful for multiple bikes and general maintenance. If I were wheelbuilding I would buy a spokey in the correct size for the wheel, it saves on confusion and the spokey is very easy to use.

I believe single or double ones like they use in bike shops are the best.
marwi_spoke.jpg

I've just got the circular type that does various sizes, it works for me.

spokekey1.jpg

Top Bottom