What state do new bikes come in?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Most will arrive with rear wheel on but not front (Grease the q/r spndles), prob handlebars will need putting on and hence the steerer will need tightening up so no play in it (do top cap up to remove play before tightening stem bolts). Seat post will need putting in (grease or carbon paste as appropriate) and prob saddle will want fitting. You can set tyre pressure to what you want but be aware of max/min settings. Don't know if it is a mtb with suspension - if so your sus fork (& shock is full sus) will want the sag setting - that depends on fork/shock make/model. Pedals will want putting on - grease threads well.
When it does arrive - check the state of the box BEFORE the courier goes away - if it is the packaging is damaged ensure you sign it as damaged or you won't have a leg to stand on if there is delivery damage.
Once u have done all the above then check set up of all gears and brakes - they often arrive from factory needing tweaking. Good luck
Thanks that's helpful.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Remember to get the front forks the right way round.

arch684

Veteran
I check every nut and bolt is tight,wheels are true with no loose spokes,tyres are properly seated in the rim and the psi is ok.i also check the quick release are tight, i then will check brakes and gears are working and fit frame protectors to prevent cable rub etc

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Most will arrive with rear wheel on but not front (Grease the q/r spndles), prob handlebars will need putting on and hence the steerer will need tightening up so no play in it (do top cap up to remove play before tightening stem bolts). Seat post will need putting in (grease or carbon paste as appropriate) and prob saddle will want fitting. You can set tyre pressure to what you want but be aware of max/min settings. Don't know if it is a mtb with suspension - if so your sus fork (& shock is full sus) will want the sag setting - that depends on fork/shock make/model. Pedals will want putting on - grease threads well.
When it does arrive - check the state of the box BEFORE the courier goes away - if it is the packaging is damaged ensure you sign it as damaged or you won't have a leg to stand on if there is delivery damage.
Once u have done all the above then check set up of all gears and brakes - they often arrive from factory needing tweaking. Good luck

must admit thats more like i would expect

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
In the days of plain-post Dia-Compe 986 cantilever brakes, a very well-known retailer shipped me a Cannondale M1000 with insufficiently tightened eye bolts. The brakes worked for a few test applications but failed completely on a long (fortunately not steep) downhill on the first ride, as the posts pushed through the eye bolts and the levers reached the handlebar grips. I lost a lot of shoe tread but did stop eventually.

Check *everything*.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The pedal spanner that comes with the bike will prob be made of cheese - go buy a decent one

Whilst that's probably true, doing 'em up isn't the problem. Getting them off a couple of years later is the problem.

A tube of coppaslip is what you need

simon.r

Person
Ditto to most of the above comments.

Definitely check everything is tight and personally I like to remove the seatpost, cranks, bottom bracket and most of the nuts and bolts to check they're greased / coppaslipped and tightened to about the right torque.

The last mail order bike I received had the STI's in the wrong position for me, so I ended up replacing the bar tape.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Bike arrived this morning. No problems setting it up fortunately. Only ridden it down the road so far but already feels a good fit and brakes and gears seem to work fine. Will take it for a proper ride later so fingers crossed it'll work a treat.

DSCN9047.JPG

Top Bottom