What state do new bikes come in?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I'm having a new bike delivered soon, I know it'll vary between shops, but what state of repair will a mail order bike normally arrive in? I'm guessing wheels and handlebars will need to be assembled, that'll be fine as I can handle that, but is there likely to be anything else more advanced? Also what are the chances of the tyres coming pumped up to the right psi?

S-Express

Also what are the chances of the tyres coming pumped up to the right psi?

Does the shop know what the 'right' PSI is for you? If not, then there's little/no chance...

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm having a new bike delivered soon, I know it'll vary between shops, but what state of repair will a mail order bike normally arrive in? I'm guessing wheels and handlebars will need to be assembled, that'll be fine as I can handle that, but is there likely to be anything else more advanced? Also what are the chances of the tyres coming pumped up to the right psi?
If this is bothering you then maybe you shouldn't be buying a bike online?

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Does the shop know what the 'right' PSI is for you? If not, then there's little/no chance...
I will probably be happy with the maximum recommended pressure or a bit below. Guess I'll have to buy a new pump in that case as the psi reader on my track pump has stopped working.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
You sound as though you don't have a working track pump?
Buy one now before the bike arrives then you'll be prepared, essential bit of kit imo.
I have a track pump that works fine for pumping the tyre up, but either the psi counter doesn't work or I'm not understanding it properly.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
If you think there is a chance that your pump is working fine, but you can't operate it, then take your new bike to your LBS and pay them to set it up.
I think I worked out how to read the pressure gauge now. There is a red counter that you can set to your desired psi and I think you would then just pump until the needle reaches the counter.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think I worked out how to read the pressure gauge now. There is a red counter that you can set to your desired psi and I think you would then just pump until the needle reaches the counter.
Or you can just look at where there needle is in relation to the number you want? The required pressure Is usually determined by your weight (combined with any luggage) and a bit of personal preference

Are you going to be ok doing a check of the gears, brakes, cables etc after riding the bike for a hundred miles or so? This is a service offered by bike shops but not in person. No issue I found you can do yourself (or learn from YouTube)

You'll need to put pedals on the bike too, so you may need to acquire a pedal spanner

I'd suggest you call the retailer to ask what their Pdi consists of and what you'll need to do to make it roadworthy

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
The below is a statement from one of the big bike sellers

" All of our bicycles are fully built by our experienced and certified mechanics prior to delivery; all you will need to do is turn the handlebars and fit some pedals. Bicycles are shipped from a different warehouse to other items and so may arrive in advance of any other items you have ordered."

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Or you can just look at where there needle is in relation to the number you want? The required pressure Is usually determined by your weight (combined with any luggage) and a bit of personal preference

Are you going to be ok doing a check of the gears, brakes, cables etc after riding the bike for a hundred miles or so? This is a service offered by bike shops but not in person. No issue I found you can do yourself (or learn from YouTube)

You'll need to put pedals on the bike too, so you may need to acquire a pedal spanner

I'd suggest you call the retailer to ask what their Pdi consists of and what you'll need to do to make it roadworthy
The bike comes with a pedal spanner, and I've replaced pedals before so should be ok with that. I can replace brake cables and gear cables, so hopefully I should be ok with checking them. Thanks.

lpretro1

Most will arrive with rear wheel on but not front (Grease the q/r spndles), prob handlebars will need putting on and hence the steerer will need tightening up so no play in it (do top cap up to remove play before tightening stem bolts). Seat post will need putting in (grease or carbon paste as appropriate) and prob saddle will want fitting. You can set tyre pressure to what you want but be aware of max/min settings. Don't know if it is a mtb with suspension - if so your sus fork (& shock is full sus) will want the sag setting - that depends on fork/shock make/model. Pedals will want putting on - grease threads well.
When it does arrive - check the state of the box BEFORE the courier goes away - if it is the packaging is damaged ensure you sign it as damaged or you won't have a leg to stand on if there is delivery damage.
Once u have done all the above then check set up of all gears and brakes - they often arrive from factory needing tweaking. Good luck

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
The below is a statement from one of the big bike sellers

" All of our bicycles are fully built by our experienced and certified mechanics prior to delivery; all you will need to do is turn the handlebars and fit some pedals. Bicycles are shipped from a different warehouse to other items and so may arrive in advance of any other items you have ordered."
Basically says the same on the site I brought the bike from. There's the answer I need I guess. Don't know why I think to check there before starting the thread, I blame the heat! :laugh:

Top Bottom