What summer?!! wet bike woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JDoughnut

Hi everyone!

I'm gonna have a bit of a moan about the weather..:ohmy: have been storing my bike outdoors, its locked up but with no cover, and has been getting wetter and wetter the last few days. Can't take it indoors as theres no room so just wondering if you guys had any bright ideas other then a tent...

Cheers!:angry:

battered

Guru
There's been some great weather this summer!

The best way to dry your bike out is to ride it. It's mostly made of metal so it's waterproof, I wouldn't worry. A plastic bag over your saddle in storage is a fair idea if it's leather. If not just use it and let the air flow.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I'd really try and cover it if you can, even bin bags will be better than nothing.
The water will seap into your headset and bearings and slowly destroy them, not to mention all the surface damage too.

dodgy

Get a jar of vaseline (stay with me, I know it's a family forum) and apply a dollop of the stuff to every recess of every single bolt on the bike using your thumb. If you do it right you will a light 'pop' as you press the jelly into the recess, then apply a bit more until it's flush. Do it today.
Get a large sheet of plastic from a hardware type shop (B&Q etc) and cover the bike and weigh it down with bricks. Alternatively, you can get specific ones for the purpose online somewhere.

Then it's simply a case of keeping the bike clean, wiping the chain regularly and lubing it.

jimheaney57

You want to live over here in N.Ireland. All we get is the afternoon in July :sad:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I read to drill a couple of small holes at the very lowest point of the frame under where the pedals ate (making sure not to damage anything), so that any water can drain out.

Alternatively, if you are worried about the warranty, after a ride in the wet, when possible, take the seat post out and sit the bike upside down ...or ride the thing to dry it out before using a big old towel or cloth (which you don't mind getting dirty) on it too.

mcfchris

I had the same problem fella and I also turned to the land of bike forums. I had lots of help and i settled for a dedicated bike storage unit from a company called Asgard. I think its called the Access Bike Storage Unit I posted a discount voucher I got hold off last week - may have expired now though. Basically its a big metal box for sticking 4 or so bikes in - , I trembled at the £450 price tag (I hate spending) well worth it though, and they seemed to have a good reputation with bikers and the bike press. Worth a look - they are tough little units - depends on how much your bike and gear is worth I suppose??

OP
OP
J

JDoughnut

I read to drill a couple of small holes at the very lowest point of the frame under where the pedals ate (making sure not to damage anything), so that any water can drain out.

Alternatively, if you are worried about the warranty, after a ride in the wet, when possible, take the seat post out and sit the bike upside down ...or ride the thing to dry it out before using a big old towel or cloth (which you don't mind getting dirty) on it too.

Seat post upside down was a great tip!! It was full - I took it back to the shop and there was a gap in the seal on the bottom bracket - all sorted!! They asked me if I had ever washed the bike with a jet wash as that often forces water into the unreachable areas .... and yes I had (shame) .. I said I hadn;t though and they took my word for it.

I tried the bike cover from Argos ... worked really well ... until the wind got up and blew it into a tree.. even with Bricks the British summer time blew it away!!!

I had a look around this and a few other forums (only registered on this one though as I think its the best) and www.bikeradar.com seen a few decent write ups of those bike stores so I ordered one the other week as they were on special offer at www.asgardsss.co.uk this won't blow away weighs as much as a house!

My 3rd problem has been my headset seems to be very stiff all of a sudden - do you guys rate the Lizard Skins system of covering forks and headsets with material????

Cheers guys

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't use Lizard skins - just traps water and dirt. Highly likely you need a new headset. Just use lots of 'waterproof' grease - like Finish Line stuff.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Don't like the idea meself; I would worry that the material was trapping moisture in the area of the bearings.

Whatever you do, don't wash the bike upside-down. Water will run straight into the headset bearings and rust them up.

Top Bottom