What temperature do you bring out the shorts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sambo241

Regular
Hi all.

Maybe a strange one :laugh: As the title states, I'm just looking for cyclists preference on when they like to whip out the shorts for their journeys?

I commute 22 miles a day (12 there, 12 back) for work. Been commuting now for 6 months, absolutely love it. Wearing Bib tights currently but as the weather gradually creeps up, I wondered what you guys deemed the lowest temp to go to shorts?

Thank you

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Shorts down to 5C heading into winter. Generally needs to get back to 10C for me to switch back in Spring.

It was 13-14c today for my ride, I'd have happily been in shorts for that. Don't know if it's the minimum I'd go to though!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've seen cyclists and posties with bare red legs round here when it was well sub-zero! :eek:

Not for me though... I have been out with my baggy shorts on a few times this winter when it was around 4-5 degrees. I wear compression sleeves on my calves all the time though so that helps keep my legs warm. It is only my knees that are exposed.

ColinJ compression sleeves.jpg

As seen in this (summertime) picture of me 'resting' after a rather steep climb! :laugh:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
There's usually the odd day in July or August I venture with shorts...

Brandane

Legendary Member
I look ridiculous in lycra, and furthermore I have recently had a skin cancer scare (melanoma removed). So I avoid the wearing of shorts in any circumstances like the plague. Even above 25C (so about 2 days of the year up here on the Costa Clyde) you won't see me wearing shorts. I wear padded lycra shorts for comfort, but always covered by some form of lightweight leggings.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Kind of the other way round with me. I tend to hang on to longs until it gets a bit too hot, and grab them again when the leaves start to fall.

Top Bottom