What temperature do you bring out the shorts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It was sunny and 12⁰ this morning and I was tempted to wear bibshorts but went for longs instead. At lunchtime we ran into thunder, lightning, rain and hail. It was very cold. Then the sun came out again.

Not so much about temperature but overall weather conditions. I'll put shorts on when the weather is predictable and less likely to leave me soaked and freezing.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
At lunchtime we ran into thunder, lightning, rain and hail. It was very cold. Then the sun came out again.
I had my shorts on and was ready to go out but when I opened the door that lot suddenly started, so I closed the door again and put the kettle on! :laugh:

I managed to get out for a short ride later (in my shorts) after it all blew over.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Never, ever in public, hell no... Not because I have bad legs, but because I was so badly sunburned on my legs when I was 13 that I needed a bath of Calomile lotion and even then I couldn't walk properly for days (ooh err!).

Never again, sorry!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I was in full winter gear on the way home yesterday and began to melt. When I heard the Skylarks in the fields I realised that maybe I should be switching to Spring gear. But 2 weeks ago it was plus 5 degrees. Last week it was minus 6 degrees and this week it has been plus 6 degrees. Rather than just dive into shorts. I will be surrendering arm and leg warmers and buffs and see how it goes.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I don't have special cycle clothes so msy have zip off leg trousers or shorts in a saddlebag perhaps then I'm good. Rarely ever wear shorts though at any temperature as I don't tear arse about everywhere.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Below 10 degrees protect your knees.

The challenge at this time of year is also the temperature range. Can be a few degrees when you set off and double figures 2-3hrs in. Equally as you climb it also gets colder the higher up.

I prefer 3/4 bibs at this time of year.

This week at 1400m it was still pretty cold☃️

3B2FC4D2-D0A0-4A24-8507-131E71983267.jpeg

4A35350B-F907-4BB7-B077-0866894DFF94.jpeg

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
9 degrees with leg warmers, so I can remove them if it gets hotter.
13 degrees without leg warmers.

This assumes a dry and not very windy day.

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member
I seem to notice the cold more as I've got older. When I was regularly commuting on the bike it was the norm that I'd switch to shorts before the end of March. Now I don't consider anything below 15C as shorts weather, so mid Aprilish down here on the south coast. Above 10C it's knee warmers and shorts, below 10C definitely longs.

Top Bottom