What temperature do you bring out the shorts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I feel it's still a false spring currently
Went out yesterday thinking it looked warm and although had long pants and sleeves was still cold

Frost this morning,back to full winter gear

the_mikey

Legendary Member
15 degrees C is borderline, above this I'm comfortable in shorts. I wish I had some lightweight 3/4 lengths for this time of the year, during the winter I use thermal 3/4 length bibs, but they're too hot when it's above 12C out.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Frost this morning,back to full winter gear

Yeah, I love a dawn ride in the spring, but it can be v cold.
Heading out with full brace of lights, all the winter gear and looking like a polar explorer.

By the time you finish your ride, the roadies are zipping past dressed as if it's a heatwave and wondering what the hell is wrong with you.

And inevitably there's a ride when that base layer really was one step too far, so you have to discreetly perform a striptease in a bus shelter. I usually have this music in my head:

TLDR - I'd rather be overwarm than cold. You can always take something off.

Alex321

Veteran
Well it is shorts all year round for me, but with leg warmers in the winter. I do have one pair of long cyciung tights, but never actuually wore them this winter.

I tend to take the leg warmers off at around 8C. I did so last Sunday, and both Wednesday and Friday commuting (didn't get out this weekend as my bike needs a new bottom bracket).

Up top, I do wear a long sleeved jersey for most of the winter (it is thicker and warmer than the short sleeved ones I have, regardless of the arms), but switched to short sleeves and arm warmers at the same time I ditched the leg warmers.

But I know I feel comfortable in colder conditions than a lot of people, as is obvious when I go out in shirtsleeves at lunchtime (and I'm comfortable), while everybody else in the office are putting coats on.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yeah, I love a dawn ride in the spring, but it can be v cold.
Heading out with full brace of lights, all the winter gear and looking like a polar explorer.

By the time you finish your ride, the roadies are zipping past dressed as if it's a heatwave and wondering what the hell is wrong with you.

And inevitably there's a ride when that base layer really was one step too far, so you have to discreetly perform a striptease in a bus shelter. I usually have this music in my head:

TLDR - I'd rather be overwarm than cold. You can always take something off.

my commute us 4.20 am , its still dark and cold when i got to work :smile: a bit overdressed coming home but although the sun was warm the wind was still chilly

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah, I've considered them, I did own a pair but they're always a lot of faff.

are they? I just put them on and then shorts over the top.
Otherwise Tudor do a summer weight 3/4 length most likely (although they're a bit Nora Batty looking at the pictures :biggrin:)
https://www.tudorsports.co.uk/tights-plusses-and-shorts/

Or Endura (Bib versions available too)
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/endura-xtract-gel-knicker-ii

Last edited:
Just walked the dog in shorts (me, not the dog.) A bit chilly round the cowlings, but not unbearable.

New job as a postman????

anyway - back to the point - I am still on the jeans and tshort with fleece and hi-vis waterresistant jacket on top
The fleece and jacket are zip up so I am just getting to the point where I am unzipping the jacket after a while and at some point the fleece is zipped only at the bottom

mind you - just got a bar end mirror - which is totally b******d when I unzip my jacket - all I can see is yellow fabric flapping away!

Top Bottom