What the blazes is wrong with me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
My riding pace has dropped off a cliff since Christmas and it is doing my nut.

OK, so I am wearing a few more layers, it's cold.
And I am also on a slightly heavier steel road bike.

But I just can't seem to average more than 16 mph, and I used to hit 17 or 18 reliably.

I have kept the cycling up every week, 100 miles a week BUT I did have a gap off the bike of one week.

The road conditions have been a bit crap also, muddy, icy, wet roads. Alot of headwinds.

All the same, I am just not able to max it out at the moment.

I don't think I put any weight on, and I am sticking to a healthier diet for the past three weeks. I'm 48 this year.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
cold, heavier bike, horrid roads, headwinds...

That would explain any dip in my performance? Just put it down to winter. The gap off the bike might have actually done you as much good as harm? A short rest doesn't usually hurt, does it?

Maybe the healthier diet is giving you less energy?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
You're getting old. Time for one of these:

Mother-on-Uni.web_.jpg

:okay:

Alternatively: it's cold (air is denser), headwinds, damp/dirty roads, heavier bike, better diet = less instant sugar, etc.

But I just can't seem to average more than 16 mph, and I used to hit 17 or 18 reliably.

I have kept the cycling up every week, 100 miles a week BUT I did have a gap off the bike of one week.

The road conditions have been a bit crap also, muddy, icy, wet roads. Alot of headwinds.

I don't think I put any weight on, and I am sticking to a healthier diet for the past three weeks. I'm 48 this year.

Have you changed tyres?

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I think I will summarise that all in all, it is a combination of winter conditions and a heavier bike, and not just me.

Ciar

Veteran
Definitely winter, every winter i do the same thing slow down wonder why and realise the weather has changed and it's now time to sit back and freeze :smile:

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Similar age to you and same here: winter / cold = slower; even after the first half hour of warming up inside the various layers of gear, I just don't go as fast and my average drops off a few points. There's definitely some psychological effect with regards to wet roads (I don't bounce as well as I used to), but even in the dry I'm a tad slower overall.

In summary ... it's not just you. ^_^

Tin Pot

Guru

It's cold, it's winter, your body does not want to burn energy needlessly.

Jimidh

Veteran
Think you have answered your own question. It's windy,wet and you have a heavier bike .

My speed drops a little over the winter too but the main thing is that you are still out at this time of year. A full winters riding will mean you will be flying come springtime.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Weather, dark etc etc it all adds up.
I have only been to work on the bike once so far this week as im on nights and its been peeing it down o i just wimped out , i took the bike last night and got my 3rd puncture of the year and had to walk a good half a mile to find a safe place to change to tube ,The bike was close to being slung in the hedge .:cursing:

Just keep plodding along and im sure your mojo will be back .

Globalti

Legendary Member
Wait 'til you reach 61 !

As above my rides nowadays are planned for quality not quantity. Got a good one set up for tomorrow, only 44 miles but through some absolutely stunning scenery and quiet roads on the SW fringes of the Dales. I expect we will average about 14.5 mph.

Top Bottom