What the devil is going on with these online cycling stores?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big John

Guru
I bought a bike light from DealExtreme. Took ages to arrive (presumably a slow boat from China) and when it did it didn't work. The bloody thing went off every time I hit a bump. Not brilliant when you're riding in the pitch black. I tried, god did I try, to get in touch with them via their 'chat' facility and spoke to someone called George or Fred or some other typically English name but the guy was obviously Chinese. They said they'd send me one that worked. Lovely. A working light. Now there's a novelty. A week later a bracket to hold the light turned up in the post. Now I've got two brackets and one piece of scrap iron. Rant over.

I've bought from Wiggle, Evans, Chain Reaction, Tredz, Parkers, you name it and been dead lucky so far. No problems with delays, wrong stuff arriving or anything. Buy from a British company fellas. Don't get suckered into the cheap prices offered by our friends overseas like I did.

Mallory

After I sent a further email with my profuse apologies, I received a reply email stating that despite selecting economy postage they had dispatched it for me this very afternoon.

Far more than I deserved :smile:

Thumbs up to the lovely folk at Fudges Cycle Store!

Just make sure you are aware of your legal rights though!!!

The manager (harrow road) of the above mentioned store "tried" to deny my right of refund for almost £800!!! Thankfully I know my rights within the distance selling act. I Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole!!!

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
Just make sure you are aware of your legal rights though!!!

The manager (harrow road) of the above mentioned store "tried" to deny my right of refund for almost £800!!! Thankfully I know my rights within the distance selling act. I Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole!!!
I can't imagine there are many stores in the country who haven't had a run in with some customers at some point or other, or alternatively provided some great customer service on occasion or as standard.

The great thing about this forum is that we can all help each other out by sharing our experiences and the wheat should always separate from the chaff.

Crankarm

Guru
I wouldn't touch Wiggle with a barge pole after they totally buggered up an order I made about 18 months ago. Neither Parkers.

For me it's how they deal with probs when they happen as they will from time to time. CRC, Merlin, Condor and HighonBikes are my preferred choices.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Despite what used to be a dire reputation for customer service, Ribble have a 100% record of correct item, delivered promptly for the many items I have bought from them over the last few years. Merlin are good too, if anything slightly quicker than Ribble
Rose and Planet-X are good too, although I've had a wrong item from each of those - both swiftly resolved.
Only ever had stock/not in stock issues with Parkers and J.E.James

billy1561

BB wrecker
Tweeks were spot on when i ordered a bike from them. Ready for collection on the day chosen and subsequent discount on road shoes which they posted out next day to me.
Never had any issues with wiggle, chain reaction, merlin or fudges. Nor for that matter my Lbs which despite being more expensive is my shop of choice.

davefb

Guru
I bought a bike light from DealExtreme. Took ages to arrive (presumably a slow boat from China) and when it did it didn't work. The bloody thing went off every time I hit a bump. Not brilliant when you're riding in the pitch black. I tried, god did I try, to get in touch with them via their 'chat' facility and spoke to someone called George or Fred or some other typically English name but the guy was obviously Chinese. They said they'd send me one that worked. Lovely. A working light. Now there's a novelty. A week later a bracket to hold the light turned up in the post. Now I've got two brackets and one piece of scrap iron. Rant over.

I've bought from Wiggle, Evans, Chain Reaction, Tredz, Parkers, you name it and been dead lucky so far. No problems with delays, wrong stuff arriving or anything. Buy from a British company fellas. Don't get suckered into the cheap prices offered by our friends overseas like I did.

these look like a great outfit.. ( assuming I've got the right deal extreme, can't say i've seen em before!)
http://cs.dx.com/FAQ/Detail/10

davefb

Guru
I wouldn't touch Wiggle with a barge pole after they totally buggered up an order I made about 18 months ago. Neither Parkers.

For me it's how they deal with probs when they happen as they will from time to time. CRC, Merlin, Condor and HighonBikes are my preferred choices.

I've not really bought much bike parts , but bought quite a bit of computer hardware... it's "how they deal with returns" that sorts the men from the boys..

Lanzecki

Über Member
This happens across the board. Even the local computer wholesaler states that he has the kit in stock but when I say "I'll drive down to get it" there is problem.

It's the definition of what 'in stock' means. Let's pretend I run an online store. I can carry the item you want, but I don't want to pay for the stock to be delivered to my warehouse and sit there waiting for someone to buy it. This is cash tied up in stock. If I have all my cash tied up in slow selling stock I cannot buy new stock.

If I don't sell it in good time, or the item is superseded, I have to sell at a discount. This generates me less income.

The current model is : if the item is in stock at my supplier then I'll tell you it's in stock. Often the item will be delivered directly from my supplier in my packaging. This is becoming a standard feature.

The less stock I carry means I need smaller premises and have less cash tied up in stock.

Personally I think the way they do this stinks. I got caught out a few times with suppliers saying it's in stock, me telling the customer it's in stock, only to be told It's a 3 week wait.

e-rider

crappy member

I agree that it's all about how they deal with problems - Parkers are crap for that. However, Highonbikes tried it on with me too. I think an online shop doesn't exist that has pissed someone off at some point. I've always found CRC and Wiggle to be quite reasonable at sorting problems - can't say the same for many smaller stores.
As for 'stock levels' it is usually quite obvious by having a quick browse of a website whether they actaully have live updating of stock levels (few sites) or whether they just claim to have everything in stock (most sites) but don't.

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
In the way of a quick follow up, the cassette I ordered arrived the very next day... Really can't fault Fudges on this one.
Price, delivery and customer service all spot on.

RWright

Guru
I had a good experience with Wiggle. I found the best price on a few things I needed and they happened to be running them on special. I had deleted an email with a voucher code they had sent me. I emailed customer service and a lady told me to place my order, email her after I did, and she would apply the discount. I did as she said, she gave me the discount and five days or so later my things were here in the US, free shipping because of the price of the order. However, I did not get any candy. :angry: I don't think they are allowed to send food here. :sad:

I have ordered from Chain Reaction Cycles and it was fine too, but it did take an extra day or two before I got the confirmation that the item had been shipped and it took about 10 days to get here. It could have just had something to do with what I had ordered but it was on special so I assumed they would have it in stock. I have had good luck with Handtec as well, even though I did get popped for tax by customs on my Garmin 800, it still saved me a lot compared to the price I could have got here.

I order from China but try to use one supplier I have dealt with for a while now, but it is normally just lights and smaller accessories. It normally takes about 10 days from there. I have had one quality issue but it was resolved with a full refund and no return of the item. I have not tried any French or German suppliers yet.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Finally 3 months after ordering my ukulele I have one. From this am I allowed to make generalisations about people who work in music shops?
Musically speaking

those who can do
those who can't, teach (though some who do teach too)
those who can't teach work in music retail

should have gone to Hobgoblin btw.

Top Bottom