What the devil is going on with these online cycling stores?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
After I sent a further email with my profuse apologies, I received a reply email stating that despite selecting economy postage they had dispatched it for me this very afternoon.

Far more than I deserved :smile:

Thumbs up to the lovely folk at Fudges Cycle Store!
I used to live live very close to a Fudges, and even back in the 70's I would walk past Hellfrauds to go to Fudges, and thats before I really knew any better. I havnt visited a branch in 30 years but I remember them as the ideal LBS, friendly, knowlegable, well stocked and well priced. I'm not surprised to find them still in business.

billy1561

BB wrecker
Bought a few bits and pieces from Fudges this last 2 years and every item has been delivered on time :thumbsup:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Received a package from H&S Bike-Discount - Germany - this lunchtime. Ordered Monday morning. That's pretty good service! ( - and their prices were very competitive too - even after adding the £5.25 P&P, and they had the items in stock!).

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I've ordered a lot online for my bikes and have similar feelings about LBS. Whilst I've had some bad experiences nothing compares to my recent online purchase of a ukulele.

Ordered from a shop in Brighton that said it was "in stock" (not the very famous music shop in Brighton!), hadn't turned up after a week and a half so I emailed to ask for an estimated delivery. Didn't hear anything for 3 days when I get an email apologising for the delay saying that the uke is due in stock any day and should be with me by next week. Waited over a week, no uke, send them an email don't hear anything for 2 days, decide to call them - can get hold of the shop but they have a separate number for the online shop and that person is out, I left a message asking them to call me. Heard nothing for another two days, when I get an email saying it'll be any day now.

I wait another week, still nothing, so I email and call, no one answers either. I leave another message with the shop asking to be called back, hear nothing. After 3 days of calling I get hold of someone who says they are still waiting for their order to come in that was initially delayed 3 weeks ago due to snow, we've since had over 2 weeks of no snow. They cannot tell me when this delivery of stock is due which I find suspicious. After waiting 5 weeks I filed for a paypal refund, which then takes a week to process.

I order a ukulele from somewhere else that said it was in stock and next day delivery. After 2 days I email to ask where it is and later that day receive tracking details for a 48 hour courier service. The uke turns up 2 days later and is broken. I had to post it back get a refund and then source another uke, which yet again takes 5 days to arrive when advertised as next day!

Finally 3 months after ordering my ukulele I have one. From this am I allowed to make generalisations about people who work in music shops?

George Formby would have been mortified.

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
Ok, here's another culprit.

Finally got around to stripping the bike down last week and found out that my BB5 brake calipers were shot.

I'd been thinking about upgrading to the BB7 road anyway, so scoured the net for an emergency pair. Only one store (Triton Cycles) had them in stock at £10 a set more expensive that anywhere else.

Desperate times call for desperate measures and all that, so order placed and guess what. On back order, due May 6th.

WHY, IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, DOES YOUR WEBSITE SAY THEY ARE IN STOCK!!!!!!!

...STILL!!!

Looks like I'm carbon commuting for a bit longer then.

PS order cancelled, I'll go with one of the cheaper shops thanks.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I wonder if you ordered sweets on line would they send you free bike parts?

byegad

Legendary Member
In defence of on-line stores.

I started going to Wiggle, CRC, Edinburgh Coop, Evans and the rest after walking into my local LBS (Nearly 11 miles away from home.) to be told they didn't have any one of three cassettes I wanted and would order them for me, ending:- It'll be about a week. I said I'd think about it. Went home and ordered them on-line two from one seller the other from another. They arrived two days later and they were considerably cheaper even including two lots of postage.

Nowadays I rarely buy anything in a store. I'm sat waiting for a second hand camera lens coming in the post this morning and have just received a camera bag through a carrier. To find either of these items in a real store I'd have spent money for petrol and parking in several towns and maybe not found either.

The cost of driving to my nearest town and parking for a couple of hours would have paid for the lens, the bus fare to that town would again, cover the cost of the lens. (Yes I know I could have taken the trike and done it for free, but most shoppers drive or take the bus.) As the nearest town has one camera shop the likelihood of finding these items is low and visiting several other towns in the area would make the cost a lot more, still with no guarantee of availability.

Top Bottom