What the *#^% is up with modern road bicycles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Not yet two years old. Built for me. Half the cost.
View attachment 689936

I meant to ask the other week what the tube combination is, particularly the fork?

My foray into dream bikes ended in disaster - the feckin thing creaked from day 1 - then started to sprout cracks which came back even after a self funded repair. £1800 down the pan !!!! The frame was most likely faulty all along - but it does make me wonder if these really high end frames are the best choice self funded hobby cyclists - for a pro its fine - if it snaps they just him give him/her a new bike - thats not an option for most of us who have to buy our own bikes.

Alex321

Veteran
i think therein lies the problem, everything is so optimized for aero at pro level speed even uphill old lumps like me wouldn't benefit massively in power saving and feel the weight on the incline.
Much has been said a bike thats a couple of kilos heavier is not that much slower on hills but you know about it if your output is "normal "

Case in point i went out on sunday on my old alloy bike with heavy wheels as i thought it was going to be a steady ride but it turned into a right heads down ass up ride and on the hills i certainly felt the extra weight .

If you weigh something like 80Kg, and the lighter bike weighs 10Kg, then that is a total of 90 KG for that, and 92 for the heavier bike.

Just over 2% difference in the weight you are lugging uphill.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Personally, I find Durian's videos quite extreme - bloke is definitely in love with the type of bikes he's ridden when he started cycling - anything before that is crap, everything after that is crap. Makes some actually good points around cycling being all about enjoyment, but appears to reject the idea of someone enjoying something else than him. I can't really respect that.

I would absolutely agree with what the OP says though. New road bikes are definitely not good value and the industry push for some technologies is questionable, at best. You want something good - you have to shop around and get the components yourself.

As for £15k bikes - this is bonkers. Don't get me wrong - I completely understand that if you want an absolute top of the line, aero and light road bike with best possible quality components, you'll have to pay up. But £15k is excessive, to say the least. £7-8k - sure - that's what the flagships used to cost (adjusted for inflation) before the industry completely lost it.

In the long-run, one of the best things a company can do, is grow the potential customer base. You don't do that by hiking the price, especially of entry-level stuff, and making things more complicated than they should be. This makes the 'first step' steeper, and in the end hurts your profits.

The market will correct itself, it will take a while though :okay:

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm not terribly interested in the price. It's kind of irrelevant to me as I don't want to buy one and it makes no odds to me if other people do. But I do like reading the bits in the magazines about the latest bike Pog is riding and so on.

What does interest me is the trend to aero bikes. I'm surprised that you can actually squeeze enough aero gains from a bike to make it worthwhile, but what do I know.

Also interesting is ... what's next? Surely they'll run out of ideas and people will just have to ride the bikes that they already own? (Of course they won't ... they'll think of something).

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'm not terribly interested in the price. It's kind of irrelevant to me as I don't want to buy one and it makes no odds to me if other people do. But I do like reading the bits in the magazines about the latest bike Pog is riding and so on.

What does interest me is the trend to aero bikes. I'm surprised that you can actually squeeze enough aero gains from a bike to make it worthwhile, but what do I know.

Also interesting is ... what's next? Surely they'll run out of ideas and people will just have to ride the bikes that they already own? (Of course they won't ... they'll think of something).
The vast majority of aero gains are produced by altering the position and attire of the rider. But none of it really matters unless you're racing.

Reactions: C R

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The vast majority of aero gains are produced by altering the position and attire of the rider. But none of it really matters unless you're racing.

Does it have to "matter" to be interesting? It would be a sad, grey, utilitarian world where we couldn't ponder such things.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
'Matter' as in spending money on it.

Meh. As I said above, I'm as aerodynamic as a barn door and rarely reach speeds where aerodynamics makes a difference. I've never raced a bike and never will, so the chances of me spending money on an aero bike are nil. Whether other people do is a matter of complete disinterest to me. I don't know why people on here obsess so much about it.

But I am interested in the bikes themselves.

Top Bottom