What the *#^% is up with modern road bicycles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some certainly may have done after a certain political event affecting the UK and relationship with immediate neighbours...
GBP to USD and EUR exchange rates are not favourable at the moment either

I don't see it myself. Sure importing stuff to the UK may have got more complex since Brexit - hence firms would cover costs.

But I don't see countries en bloc raising taxes on bikes because of Brexit.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't see it myself. Sure importing stuff to the UK may have got more complex since Brexit - hence firms would cover costs.

But I don't see countries en bloc raising taxes on bikes because of Brexit.

There’s now import tax. Have business rates gone up? Other U.K. taxes?
You could just ask the bloke in the bike shop what he meant exactly ;)

Reactions: C R

davidphilips

Veteran
Perhaps i am not the only one to be feeling the cost of inflation and lack of pay rises then.

Just delighted i dont need DI2, aero frame, integrated handlebars, carbon bottle holders or £10,000 to look or feel up to date to enjoy cycling.

The great thing about cycling is it can be fun, sport, transport, keep fit a hobby and unless you want to spend a lot can be done for very little outlay.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The great thing about cycling is it can be fun, sport, transport, keep fit a hobby and unless you want to spend a lot can be done for very little outlay.

This. A new bike won't set you back all that much, and second-hand you could (at some risk obviously) get a very decent bike for a few hundred. And once you have a bike, it will last indefinitely if cared for. So the prices of whole new bikes aren't of much concern to cyclists - who, by definition, already own bikes.

The price of bike bits (tyres, tubes, chains and so on) is another story.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
This. A new bike won't set you back all that much, and second-hand you could (at some risk obviously) get a very decent bike for a few hundred. And once you have a bike, it will last indefinitely if cared for. So the prices of whole new bikes aren't of much concern to cyclists - who, by definition, already own bikes.

The price of bike bits (tyres, tubes, chains and so on) is another story.
So thinking about that....

Bikes I bought new in my life:
  • A Viking warlord 26" "racer" when I was about 12 -£125.
  • A cheap British Eagle rigid mountain bike from garden centre back in the early 90's, as I didnt have a bike then (above one was knackered and left at my parents)
  • A Brompton SL3ti thru cycle to work 2005 £982 retail
  • Bianchi Infinito CV 2015 c£3k
  • (Worrying trend of price / quality escalation of late)
Bike bought used:
  • Raleigh commando £35 mid £70s
  • Raleigh roadster passed down from and back to my uncle
  • BMX for uni £25 sold for £35 when I left
  • A couple of hardtail mountain bikes in the 2000's one to upgrade the other £80/ £150 when I was a bit under biked once I got by into "proper" cycling
  • Bianchi via Nirone £500 when I got back into road cycling proper
  • 80's Peugeot 531 tourer £125, became winter bike / commuter
  • Pinnacle Arkose gravel bike £280, replaced above for winter duty
  • 80's Holdsworth 531 road bike £220, on a whim
  • Single speed for London commuting since sold £120
  • I found an old Gary Fisher 90's MTB, refurbed rode then sold.
so what will my next purchase be?

The gravel bike could do with an upgrade to something with thru axles, Will probably go used on that. I don't really hanker after a road bike with discs and the Bianchi still feels lovely as the summer ride. I did buy it some carbon wheels.
A di2 gravel / do it all bike for the OH as she struggles with manual gears from arthritis in her hands
I haven't got anything titanium (well the Brommie has Ti forks / seatpost and triangle) so that always a possibility.
At some point we both might want a bit of battery power, but hopefully that is someway off.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've been a bit more bike-frugal than most.

Bought new:
Raleigh Wayfarer in the early 70s. Bought for me by my parents. Don't know how much.
Spa Steel Audax. Just over 10 years ago. About a grand. But I do spend a lot of money on it. I hate to think how much it has cost in total.
Brompton. Lots of money but it did go some way to paying for itself. And I really like it. So there.

Not bought new.
My mainstay bike throughout my youth was bought as a complete wreck for fiver. But it was a long term triggers broom project and was several bikes throughout its life. It got a new lease of life when I sold/gave it to @biggs682 and is probably still alive and kicking.
More recently my Dawes Shadow which got me back into cycling which was £50 and now lives on my turbo.

Next purchase?
None planned unless my Spa gets nicked or totalled.

Last edited:

Milzy

Guru
I never understand this line of thinking - you can still get a 105 carbon equipped bike for a reasonable price.

I ride a Dolan DI2 - which is probably amongst the cheaper Di2 bikes - I couldn't justify spending 3 or 4 times that amount on a lighter more aero , fancy paint job bike. Sure they look fantastic - but for my limited cycling abilities I couldn't justify it. I don't think think Im missing out (Well not much anyway)

You but the best bike that you can afford / justify - There will always be one you hanker that it is out of budget - thats just how it is.

View attachment 690058

I have the E’tape rim break and I’m happily flying along with Colnagos & Pinerellos and other £10,000 bikes just fine.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I have the E’tape rim break

That’s a shame, how did the rim break?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oi, there is too much bling on this bike with resorting to coloured saddles, bars, nuts and bolts. Black works.

20230525_113709.jpg

Top Bottom