What the *#^% is up with modern road bicycles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Hydraulic discs are LESS faff to maintain. I have no idea where the myth that they are more of faff has come from.

Yes, Di2 requires batteries to be charged every few months. I don't see that as making the whole thing worse for even a "liesure" cyclist. I don't believe the advantages of Di2 are enough to make it worthwhile for anybody cycling less than hundreds of miles a week, but I don't see the very minor inconvenience of charging batteries as being nearly enough to outweigh even those small advantages.

Tubeless is inly a PITA if you have issue with it. IF you can get it set up right, it is generally better, as it results in much fewer punctures, and the ability to run at lower pressures, giving a better ride. Whether that outweighs the faff of getting it set up to start with, I grant is debatable.

1x, I agree I would not want it, but then it isn't one of the things that are hard to avoid, very few road bikes come with it, the main use for 1x is mountain bikes, plus quite a few gravel bikes. I doubt it makes those bikes worse for the people using them - and indeed only having one changer to worry about is probably an improvement for a leisure cyclist.

I hope we can simply happily agree to differ on all of these.

[Edit: what i would say is that the cost of some of these things is huge compared to any benefit, even if you believe there is a benefit]

[Edit: what i would say is that the cost of some of these things is huge compared to any benefit, even if you believe there is a benefit]

Agreed!
(And I know this is one of many forums where these specific issues have been debated multiple times ... )

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If I were to consider buying a new bike - for example if my bike got nicked or something - then a change to disk brakes would be about the only thing that I'd do differently. Primarily because I like the idea of not regularly chewing through rims but also maybe having a wee bit more clearance for tyres. Maybe electronic shifting too, because I like gadgetry. But I might go for that anyway sometime in future.

I'm not considering a new bike though. And my bike and its theoretical replacement can't really be described as "modern road bikes". So it's all a bit moot.

Alex321

Veteran
I hope we can simply happily agree to differ on all of these.

Absolutely agreed on that part.

I do, for instance, believe that Di2 is better than mechanical - but I have a 105 mechanical groupset on my bike, and to upgrade to 105 Di2 (everything except the brakes would have to be replaced) would cost something of the order of £1300. I do not believe the advantages are nearly enough to justify that cost.

Alex321

Veteran
Apart from replace pads I've not done anything with my hydraulic brakes in 18 months.

I've had them much longer than that - my hybrid bought in 2016 had them, and I was riding it regularly from 2020, then bought the road bike with them almost 2 years ago now.

And like you, in those 3 years (and about 12000 miles), I have never had to do anything but replace pads.

As I said earlier, I have no idea how the myth arose that they are more faff than rim brakes.

davidphilips

Veteran
£13,000 to me seems madness for a club cyclist but if you afford it then your money and good luck, was talking to a few club cyclists this morning and there is a new club kit out every year that most of them can not wait to get every year and its not cheap.

Well again good luck to them but think i will just buy what i need when i need it and not spend any more that i have to.

Really believe money spent on cycling is money well spent and if some one buys an expensive bike and kit and it keeps them fit and gives them pleasure then great but for me can not and even if i could afford it will not buy a bike that costs more than a new car or spend £700+ a year on club kit.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Completely agree. Tyres as important as wheels too.

I also have a very nice but simple and robust bike, and made to measure for my 6'4" person.

The things that make up the majority of the cost of bikes beyond that £1200 Boardman would all make it a worse bike. Despite being made personally for me, it's cheaper than many road bikes.

It does have a black groupset though... here in its natural habitat.

View attachment 690165

Nice! Swallow made probably the nicest bike I've ever seen...now if only your groupset and wheels were silver and the bar-tape....
:tongue:

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
NOOOOOOOO. Apart from the tyres, nothing on a bicycle should be black or dark grey unless no other option exists!

You're quire right, except for the frame, and the fork, and the handllebars, and the hoods, and the saddle, and the seat post, and the rack, and the rack pack, and the wheel rims, and the chainset and the cable outers..

But apart from those obvious exceptions, you're right. Valve caps should not be black.

Last edited:
Top Bottom