What time of year is best for end of season deals and cheaper prices?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stef 1

Hatching a plan to slowly start upgrading various bits of my bike over time – the ideas being to ultimately, possibly with the exception of the frame, to have a reasonably new 'best' bike in a years or two and make a winter / basher bike our of what's left.

Easier to keep any spend under the radar this way (less scrutiny, less questions and fits within monlthly budget), and also makes it more of a project.

So, as the title says really, are any times of year better than others for buying componests, wheels etc?
Haven't quite decided where to start yet, but plan on at least a new group set (probably Ultegra with hyrdo brakes), wheels, forks, seatpost and saddle...

Realise it's cheaper to get a groupset as part of a full bike, but i'd have to make too many compromises elsewhere. At least when buying components I can spread the cost.

When is the bikes 'season' in terms on new models? Do many bike companies jump on the bacl friday sales type band-wagon?

Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Not really for parts I think, there are always deals around though

Bike prices, current season sales start in around November but not for all and sizes might be limited

Clothing, once the season ends mainly. Again you can get deals all year round with hunting

Black Friday deals exist, usually as a voucher code with a minimum spend

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'd question the wisdom of upgrading, depending on the frame of course, particularly if buying a groupset. You might be better off selling the bike and buying a new or nearly new one with the spec you want.
The only way to tell is to do the arithmetic.

OP
OP
Stef 1

Stef 1

Thanks both. I agree with you Cycleops... however when I start looking at whole bikes I want or lust after it all gets too expensive very quickly - I know this way I'm still compromisng, but doing it bit by bit possibly feels less so as I'd be putting something together myself and I like the idea of my own project (there are worse hobbies!). I like tinkering (and learning, including getting it wrong from time to time). I was thinking about a whole pre-built bike not so long ago, but have a hard time justifying the cost of what I'd want to my missus (and myself) if I were to spend the cash in one big fat lump!

My current bike is a relatively stock stock 2014 Genesis Crois De Fer.
I do love my bike at the moment - but do flip and flop over time. When I bought it 4 years ago I know it was a good bike and does everything I need, but there's always better isn't there! My intension back then was to grow it over the years. Didn't happen though. I keep replacing bits likes for like. I'm currently cycling more than I ever have, fitter than I hever have been and it's helped me acheive a few personal goals... I feel an upgrade would be new motivation ;)

The frame isn't overly special I guess, probably only worth couple hundred ££ if that now (think the frameset might've been around £500-600 new), but I'm happy enough with it. Fits me well enough, I like steel ('cept for the weight), rides well and gives me lots of options in terms of wheel sizes, lots of lugs for whatever I might want to attach down the line, takes mudguards when needed – it's versatile.

I'd like the light weight of carbon (mainly for accletation and hills and perhaps adding a kph or so to my average) - but would be worried about longevity and robustness. Ultimately maybe a Ti frame would be a good choice further down the line... slightly springy, road dampening ride like steel, but a little less weight... 'alas its expensive. Steel is fine for now. Myabe that could be something I could upgrade later.

Weight could be a little better. I've lost a lot of weight since I've had the bike... now it's time my bike shed a couple of kilos too. Wheels would be a good place to start there, forks too. Brakes could be better too. The mechancial discs work well on a good day when they're setup perfectly, but they're early disk brakes. only one moving caliper and I'm forever adjusting them, constantly trying to get them a little better, to bite a littel better. My Tiagra gears are fine too really when indexed perfectly, but I lust after a friends Ultegra... they seem 'clickier', faster and quieter - sad really isn't it!

Over-all I'm not a speed demon, at least not competitively with others, but do like pushing myself and improving. Ride daily or thereabouts. Weekend rides approaching 3hr / 85km and getting longer (I go until my back gets too uncomfy), daily fitness rides aim to do 30km @ 30kph average so usually a hour, but usually and up around 29kph. I guess from March to Oct / Nov I'd call it my hobby. Winter time less so, but do it (most years) for fitness. Roads around here are largley country lanes, so not super smooth, plenty of pot-holes, looser bits, bumps - it's varied. To be honest I;ve never hit the trails or tracks I thought I might with my Croix de Fer.

// EDIT bugger, see what you've done Cycleops. With your one susgestion / thought, I'm now looking at ( vaguely considering / day dreaming ) interest free credit over 3 years or so... Ti, Ultegra bike. Could I cope with spending half my monthly allowance for 3 years on this... hmmm

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks both. I agree with you Cycleops... however when I start looking at whole bikes I want or lust after it all gets too expensive very quickly - I know this way I'm still compromisng, but doing it bit by bit possibly feels less so as I'd be putting something together myself and I like the idea of my own project (there are worse hobbies!). I like tinkering (and learning, including getting it wrong from time to time). I was thinking about a whole pre-built bike not so long ago, but have a hard time justifying the cost of what I'd want to my missus (and myself) if I were to spend the cash in one big fat lump!

My current bike is a relatively stock stock 2014 Genesis Crois De Fer.
I do love my bike at the moment - but do flip and flop over time. When I bought it 4 years ago I know it was a good bike and does everything I need, but there's always better isn't there! My intension back then was to grow it over the years. Didn't happen though. I keep replacing bits likes for like. I'm currently cycling more than I ever have, fitter than I hever have been and it's helped me acheive a few personal goals... I feel an upgrade would be new motivation ;)

The frame isn't overly special I guess, probably only worth couple hundred ££ if that now (think the frameset might've been around £500-600 new), but I'm happy enough with it. Fits me well enough, I like steel ('cept for the weight), rides well and gives me lots of options in terms of wheel sizes, lots of lugs for whatever I might want to attach down the line, takes mudguards when needed – it's versatile.

I'd like the light weight of carbon (mainly for accletation and hills and perhaps adding a kph or so to my average) - but would be worried about longevity and robustness. Ultimately maybe a Ti frame would be a good choice further down the line... slightly springy, road dampening ride like steel, but a little less weight... 'alas its expensive. Steel is fine for now. Myabe that could be something I could upgrade later.

Weight could be a little better. I've lost a lot of weight since I've had the bike... now it's time my bike shed a couple of kilos too. Wheels would be a good place to start there, forks too. Brakes could be better too. The mechancial discs work well on a good day when they're setup perfectly, but they're early disk brakes. only one moving caliper and I'm forever adjusting them, constantly trying to get them a little better, to bite a littel better. My Tiagra gears are fine too really when indexed perfectly, but I lust after a friends Ultegra... they seem 'clickier', faster and quieter - sad really isn't it!

Over-all I'm not a speed demon, at least not competitively with others, but do like pushing myself and improving. Ride daily or thereabouts. Weekend rides approaching 3hr / 85km and getting longer (I go until my back gets too uncomfy), daily fitness rides aim to do 30km @ 30kph average so usually a hour, but usually and up around 29kph. I guess from March to Oct / Nov I'd call it my hobby. Winter time less so, but do it (most years) for fitness. Roads around here are largley country lanes, so not super smooth, plenty of pot-holes, looser bits, bumps - it's varied. To be honest I;ve never hit the trails or tracks I thought I might with my Croix de Fer.

// EDIT bugger, see what you've done Cyclops. With your one susgestion / thought, I'm now looking at ( vaguely considering / day dreaming ) interest free credit over 3 years or so... Ti, Ultegra bike. Could I cope with spending half my monthly allowance for 3 years on this... hmmm
Not sure any of the Ti retailers do finance (or at least not interest free, Fatbirds/pedal revolution may, but they don’t have the less expensive brands.

A Sabbath AR1 Ultegra hydraulic is under 3k and the Spa Elan cheaper too (other brands likely £4K+) The AR1 not an especially light bike but it’s v versatile

Dolan, Ribble or PX also have Ti options

OP
OP
Stef 1

Stef 1

Thanks Vickster, I'll check them out. I don't like finance. Even thought it's potentially interest free it's still commitment, & the flip side of this is I don't truely NEED an upgrade... just lust / want. However everyone needs a hobby right? At my age at least it's not a sports car, motorbike or similar! And maybe Cycleops is right, a whole bike would work out cheaper in the long run.... I'll try and get back to my work (but mainly day dream and look at bikes) and tonight crunch some numbers properly... 'new' VS 'upgrade over 2 over years' strategy (my family don't need a holiday right?).

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
The AR1 frameset is around £1200, Elan a little less. One thing to beat in mind, lots of disc frames will have thru axles now (the Sabbath and Spa are still QR) so if you change the frame in future you may need new wheels

My Sabbath is due this week, I’ll post some pics (although I don’t like Shimano or fugly large hydraulic hoods so it’s a Sram mechanical build)

I always thought Jan-March was the discount season, and Nov-Dec the Christmas leadout.

OP
OP
Stef 1

Stef 1

My Sabbath is due this week, I’ll post some pics (although I don’t like Shimano or fugly large hydraulic hoods so it’s a Sram mechanical build)

Cheers Vickster - yeah please post pics once you have it!

Can I ask if theres any reason why you don't like Shimano? They're all I've ever used so I don't know any different - nothing to compare against. Why do you consider Sram to be better? (although I guess that topic is like opening a can of worms and probably been covered a million times).

I always thought Jan-March was the discount season, and Nov-Dec the Christmas leadout.
Thanks - so generally it's end of year and after xmas. With cycling being largely fair weather sport for the masses, I guess I was checking that it wasn't towards the end of summer for stores to clear out whilst people where still buying. Thanks!

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Cheers Vickster - yeah please post pics once you have it!

Can I ask if theres any reason why you don't like Shimano? They're all I've ever used so I don't know any different - nothing to compare against. Why do you consider Sram to be better? (although I guess that topic is like opening a can of worms and probably been covered a million times).

Thanks - so generally it's end of year and after xmas. With cycling being largely fair weather sport for the masses, I guess I was checking that it wasn't towards the end of summer for stores to clear out whilst people where still buying. Thanks!
I don’t like the wobbly brake lever, prefer Sram double tap. I had it on my first roadbike, then added a Shimano Tiagra bike which I kept for a bit before replacing with a Sram genesis equilibrium steelie. I can’t comfortably brake from Shimano hoods and the shape doesn’t feel comfortable. Even Sram make my hands ache after a bit of long braking so I have cross levers (another reason for mechanical discs) but the hoods are much more comfortable to hold :smile:

Sram different, not necessarily better (although a little lighter than the equivalent Shimano and a little more costly, Rival maybe £100 more than 105) probably because it’s a lot less common :whistle:

Spa don’t have a clear out as their bikes are built to order, other than their ex demo which they sell off. Indeed they are currently...;)

Top Bottom