What tire size is faster on pavement... 26",27.5" or 29"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
The size of the wheels on a bike is part of the gearing system. This is why gearing is sometimes measured in gear inches or progression, as this takes into account the size of the wheel in the calculation. Basically, for a given chainring / sprocket combination a larger wheel will give you a higher (and therefore faster for a given cadence) gear. Of course you can always tweak this by changing your chainrings and cassette so it doesn't necessarily mean that all small wheeled bikes are geared lower than all large wheeled bikes, but that's essentially the reason road bikes have big wheels.

Google gear inches or gear progression for an idea of how much difference it actually makes.

screenman

Legendary Member
I would say the 27.5 is like an adjustable spanner.

OP
OP
W

Wintor

@Wintor

Get some small block tyres like Kendra or DMR

The sort of riding you describe would be best suited to a Dirt Jump bike. Mostly 26" anyway, some even 24". Rigid fork, simple, triangle bombproof frame. Cool as.
thanks... ill definitely be looking at smaller sized tires now (27.5"/26"). Rigid fork for sure... And ill prolly get the small block tires you mentioned!

Of the ones you've posted, the B'twin looks pretty good. One of the Carrera's and the Giant have cable discs, which are fine but hydraulics just have a better feel.

One of the bikes in my shed is a Scott Voltage YZ10, 26 inch wheels, short wheelbase and stays, very easy to wheelie (even I can do it) and jump. It has also been used for touring but it ain't fast on the road. They've been around a long time, solid reliable bikes.

OP
OP
W

Wintor

Of the ones you've posted, the B'twin looks pretty good. One of the Carrera's and the Giant have cable discs, which are fine but hydraulics just have a better feel.

One of the bikes in my shed is a Scott Voltage YZ10, 26 inch wheels, short wheelbase and stays, very easy to wheelie (even I can do it) and jump. It has also been used for touring but it ain't fast on the road. They've been around a long time, solid reliable bikes.
Oh thanks! I like the rockrider 540 the most too, so im most likely gonna go with that one. Also when it comes to wheelies, what would you say makes a bike easier to wheelie? Is it the smaller tires and less weight?

Oh thanks! I like the rockrider 540 the most too, so im most likely gonna go with that one. Also when it comes to wheelies, what would you say makes a bike easier to wheelie? Is it the smaller tires and less weight?
The rider!!

As I said before, a shorter bike with shorter chainstays, makes a bike easier to wheelie becasue of where your Centre Of Gravity is. So if you look at the diagram below and at the chainstays, the longer they are, the more leverage you need to lift the front. Similarly with the wheelbase.

el-saltamontes.jpg

OP
OP
W

Wintor

The rider!!

As I said before, a shorter bike with shorter chainstays, makes a bike easier to wheelie becasue of where your Centre Of Gravity is. So if you look at the diagram below and at the chainstays, the longer they are, the more leverage you need to lift the front. Similarly with the wheelbase.

View attachment 338695
Oh I see... that makes sense. Appreciate it! ;)

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
IMG_0876.JPG
I'm not sure which wheel size is faster, I would think extra speed on an MTB would be down to tire choice.
The BTwin looks a great spec for the price but looks to be only available in Large, I don't know how tall you are and what size you are looking at.
If your budget can stretch a bit have a look at this one for £499, only size 16" available though.
http://www.startfitness.co.uk/sale/bikes-sale/forme-ripley-1-hardtail-mtb-blue-for93.html

29ers amuse me.....

This new fashion is exactly the same size as the 700c /622 wheels used by tourists and roadies for years

Amazing how people are convinced by a new name

Top Bottom