What to buy 1980/1990 race bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
bits hat hold the tubes together - can be very ornate (I think that this was a British fashion):

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/carlton.html
Good morning,

Have you noticed the rear brake blocks, their position within the calipers and the wheel?

Bye

Ian
Well they will work well:smile:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Last edited:
OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran

Not seen the top one so will give that some thought the one below I have on my watch list but for the money the frame had too many chips and scratches.. cheers mate.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I bid on the top one and won it for the princely sum of £62 which seemed about right to me. Chuffed to bits.

That'll do as a starting vintage bike. Just don't turn into @biggs682 - I've seen his bike store, plus the other one and I'm sure he's got bikes elsewhere. Me? Nah, honest :whistle:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I bid on the top one and won it for the princely sum of £62 which seemed about right to me. Chuffed to bits.

I reckon you got a good bargain there, as you can do at this time of year if you are savvy. Too small for me, but just my sort of thing with Reynolds 501 and in a nice colour. I wouldn't dismiss it as a "starter bike" either. You don't have to spend silly money or run mega-valuable machinery in order to have a nice enjoyable ride. All the thing ultimately needs is to be reliable and be fettled into good working order so it steers, stops, and changes gear like it should. Buying something with a zero added to the price won't result in it being ten times better/lighter/faster/more fun.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
That'll do as a starting vintage bike. Just don't turn into @biggs682 - I've seen his bike store, plus the other one and I'm sure he's got bikes elsewhere. Me? Nah, honest :whistle:

I almost got it for £49 but someone jumped in at the last so I had to bid a little more..

As for bikes I'm just going to advertise two bikes and buy three but I can see this old school bike thing might get the better of me and I will buy some more?

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
So being new to this what type of brake cable/ outer cables do you use and what type of tyres run well for road use?

PS. not sure if I should start a new thread on what to get or stay on this one as I have loads to ask?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm just going to advertise two bikes and buy three but I can see this old school bike thing might get the better of me and I will buy some more?

Vintage/classic stuff is outstanding value, often pleasing to look at, often well made, and generally nice to ride. It is very easy to go bargain hunting and end up with more bikes than you planned! I speak from experience, although I shall refrain from trying to outdo Mr Biggs! Currently 90's 26" MTB's are absolute giveaways, even more than road bikes, if you just like pootling about.
I'm limiting myself to picking up the odd parts donor to strip for spares now rather than buying more "keepers". Despite my best intentions they keep popping up. I wanted some period alloy MTB mudguards recently, so instead I bought a complete donor bike already fitted with said mudguards, for £5 - as you do. I've got another one, a shabby £1 eBay special, to get next week. It's vintage cycling on a shoestring, and it future-proofs my keepers by ensuring I have a good supply of wearing spare parts like alloy wheels and drivetrains.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Now I'm no longer riding motorbikes I had a 250 Gas Gas and a WR 450 motocrosser plus a Gixxer 1000) I hate to think what I used to spend a year so what ever I spend now I'm saving money lol.
I just love my cycles, so a new direction in the one I bought will give me something to do as I'm now retired.

PS.. A big thank you to all information given.. :okay:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
So being new to this what type of brake cable/ outer cables do you use and what type of tyres run well for road use?

PS. not sure if I should start a new thread on what to get or stay on this one as I have loads to ask?

For brakes - standard outer and inners. They should be similar but check the cable ends. Again tyres should be a usual 25 or 28mm but check whether the wheels are 700c or 27 1/4". Or in the case of my Raleigh Sports below 26 1/4 (or 559mm). Tan-walled tyres go nicely on retro bikes and the Raleigh ones are about £17 a pair delivered.

The difference will be in using downtube shifters and it will feel different on the road. Or should do, but then my current retro bikes are this from 1950:

20180625_194118-jpg-jpg.jpg

which since the photo above has had new tyres, appropriate saddle, new 3-speed shifter and cables, mudflaps and a dynamo re-build. And this 1975 shopping bike:

dscf5552-jpg.jpg

Erm ... I've got the rear brake working. But done nothing else, and it'll be on sale soon. Oh, and I'm building this 1975 Carlton into a moustache-handlebarred orange fixie with my son:

dscf5907-jpg.jpg

Progress on that is slow. We've stripped it bar one item, sourced all the parts, prepped the frame for painting and painted the forks orange to date.

Last edited:
Top Bottom