What to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkExmouth

Regular
Hi All,

New member, first time post.

I am looking to replace my cheap and cheerful mountain bike with a hybrid (never gone down a mountain, and unlikely to!), as the majority of my cycling is road/cycle path/gravel paths.

I have a potential budget of £5-600... and think I have narrowed it down to one of Trek 7.4 or Giant Escape 2.. Depending on special offers/model year etc, I am also considering the Escape 1, or the Trek 7.5

Has anyone got any views on these bikes, or indeed come up with other suggestions?

Thanks all

Mark

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
MarkExmouth why not consider one of the Marins ?

Ride

I've been using a 2012 Trek 7.5 FX Disc to commute for just under a year. It is a great bike on the roads. I could not imagine taking it on gravel, though. It has 700x28c tires that I would think are too narrow for gravel. Compact dirt paths shouldn't be an issue. The 7.4 FX has 700x32 tires which would do better on gravel.

If you wanted the upgraded components of the 7.5 FX I'm certain you could just order some 700x32c tires for it. It appears to have the clearance for it and I believe the wheel can take that size tire, but it would be best to check with the shop.

I really like the FX series. They are great bikes.

Ride

Cyclist33

I've been using a 2012 Trek 7.5 FX Disc to commute for just under a year. It is a great bike on the roads. I could not imagine taking it on gravel, though. It has 700x28c tires that I would think are too narrow for gravel. Compact dirt paths shouldn't be an issue. The 7.4 FX has 700x32 tires which would do better on gravel.

If you wanted the upgraded components of the 7.5 FX I'm certain you could just order some 700x32c tires for it. It appears to have the clearance for it and I believe the wheel can take that size tire, but it would be best to check with the shop.

Ride

Just goes to show, as the Trek 7.5FX Disc in my local bike shop has Bontrager 700x32 tyres. It does look nice. But not as nice as the Cannondale Quick I bought :tongue:.

(Which, incidentally, has Continental 700x32s slicks on it, which actually measure 25mm, and which I took on gravel tonight without problem. So give your Trek a go!!

Stu

Cyclist33

Hi All,

New member, first time post.

I am looking to replace my cheap and cheerful mountain bike with a hybrid (never gone down a mountain, and unlikely to!), as the majority of my cycling is road/cycle path/gravel paths.

I have a potential budget of £5-600... and think I have narrowed it down to one of Trek 7.4 or Giant Escape 2.. Depending on special offers/model year etc, I am also considering the Escape 1, or the Trek 7.5

Has anyone got any views on these bikes, or indeed come up with other suggestions?

Thanks all

Mark

I've got one of these http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/quick-3-2012-hybrid-bike-ec031463 and it's bloody good. Well, I've got last year's but it's the same apart from having a bizarre seatpost clamp.

Stu

OP
OP
M

MarkExmouth

Regular
Have you not considered a Boardman? Great spec on the hybrid bikes in this price range.
Thanks - the Boardman is also one to consider

OP
OP
M

MarkExmouth

Regular

Ride
Thanks for the feedback - not considered the tyre size to be honest, so will look into

OP
OP
M

MarkExmouth

Regular
Thanks all for the feedback.

So... I came here with a shortlist of two, and now have another three to consider... :ohmy:

I'll let you all know what I go for when I get around to buying one.

Thanks again

Top Bottom