What to consider when getting a new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

So basically i'm getting a new bike at Christmas. I mostly use my current bike for going to college & work experience, trips to town and occasionally in the park near me. My dad will go to the bike shop with me but it's my choice. So i don't know is it best to stick to hybrid or try a different type of bike? what do you recommend? Also what things should i consider when choosing a new bike?

vickster

Legendary Member
What's the budget? Which shops do you have closeby?

Do you ride in all weathers and thus need proper mudguards. Will you add a rack for panniers? What's the security like where you will be leaving it?
What's wrong with the current bike?
Do you plan to start doing longer rides or tours?
What are the road surfaces like?

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

What's the budget?
Which shops do you have closeby?
Do you ride in all weathers and thus need proper mudguards. Will you add a rack for panniers? What's the security like where you will be leaving it?
Do you plan to start doing longer rides or tours?
What are the road surfaces like?
1. We have a lot of different bike shops, Decathlon, Halfords, Cycle Evans, Cycle Republic etc...
2. I don't know the budget as i'm getting it as a early christmas present (due to going on holliday at christmas)
3. a) Most of the time yes b) I don't know if there's any benefit with using panniers as i just wear a backpack when i cycle c) i've never had my current bike stolen luckily but a lot of bike thefts do happen in my area.
4. Not at the moment but it might change after i finish college or when i'm older
5. When you mean what are road surfaces like do you mean like smooth, bumpy etc... if so it's a mixture some roads are smooth some are bumpy etc...

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What sort of things should you consider?

Your budget (we can’t recommend without knowing this, only a specific type)
Derailleur or hub gear for maintenance considerations & range of gears
Sort of terrain you’ll be using it over
Flat or drop bars
Types of ride you’ll be using it on
Do you want a female specific frame

If Halfords and Decathlon are nearby get down there and see what you fancy.

On a different note we share the same birthday:smile:. Pisces are indecisive.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Is it replacing or supplementing the current bike? If replacing then which bits would you like to improve on and why? If the latter what would you like to do on the new bike that you cannot on your current bike?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
What's your current bike?
Is your riding likely to be mainly on road / cycle paths?

The Carrera Subway is a perennial recommendation as a good hybrid for the money - virtually bomb proof, disc brakes that work well in all weathers, cheap to maintain and capable of a bit of off-road fun should you fancy it.

Top Bottom