What to consider when getting a new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If you are the sort of rider that will go out in the rain, then out of your existing bike and new bike, at least one of them needs to have mudguards You mention theft is a problem in your area, that means you really need to keep away from anything that's visually too eye-catching and go for something that looks a bit more discreet and low-profile, especially if you are contemplating going to college/work on it. Personally, I reckon it's always better to keep an old low-value machine for use in high-risk locations.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
You can take a Brompton inside with you. No need to leave at the mercy of thieves. A couple if heavy D locks will offer cheaper, if not foolproof, security

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

If you are the sort of rider that will go out in the rain, then out of your existing bike and new bike, at least one of them needs to have mudguards You mention theft is a problem in your area, that means you really need to keep away from anything that's visually too eye-catching and go for something that looks a bit more discreet and low-profile, especially if you are contemplating going to college/work on it. Personally, I reckon it's always better to keep an old low-value machine for use in high-risk locations.
yeah i understand that and yeah. I don't get why people steal bike when there's CCTV/ Sign say We are watching you cycle thieves (Police department)

luckily i've never got my bike stolen (i don't know if this is because my bikes not that attractive and it's very dirty sometimes or just because i use one Abus D lock and lock it through rear wheel. So i guess thieves just always tend to go for cable locks) and i hope i haven't jinxed myself because i'm using my mum's bike to cycle to college tomorrow. But my brother got his bike stolen from his uni campus 2 times (but to be honest he was a bit stupid using a cable lock) and my friend got his bike stolen from college campus His bike wasn't great but he also used a cable lock. I told one of my friends who also cycle to college it's better to put your D lock through rear wheel triangle and stand and not just the frame. (I see so many people using cable and D locks but just attaching it to frame and stand and not through wheel.) .
Shops should stop selling cable locks in areas where it's high risk of theft

vickster

Legendary Member
yeah i understand that and yeah. I don't get why people steal bike when there's CCTV/ Sign say We are watching you cycle thieves (Police department)

luckily i've never got my bike stolen (i don't know if this is because my bikes not that attractive and it's very dirty sometimes or just because i use one Abus D lock and lock it through rear wheel. So i guess thieves just always tend to go for cable locks) and i hope i haven't jinxed myself because i'm using my mum's bike to cycle to college tomorrow. But my brother got his bike stolen from his uni campus 2 times (but to be honest he was a bit stupid using a cable lock) and my friend got his bike stolen from college campus His bike wasn't great but he also used a cable lock. I told one of my friends who also cycle to college it's better to put your D lock through rear wheel triangle and stand and not just the frame. (I see so many people using cable and D locks but just attaching it to frame and stand and not through wheel.) .
Shops should stop selling cable locks in areas where it's high risk of theft
Surely It’s down to the owner to buy the right lock and be responsible without relying on CCTV and a stretched police force

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
To be perfectly honest I wouldn't bother with a new bike just for commuting. Even with the heaviest lock it's just an extra worry, and you're not really getting any significant use out of it that an old—or your current—bike can't handle.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

Because unfortunately bike theft is generally such a low priority that it's unlikely that plod will make a request for the recording, let alone watch it on the slim chance that they can identify the perp.
And even if they can, the bike will be long gone by the time they track them down.

You're right to use a decent D-locks through the rear triangle, always leave as little room as possible around the lock to get tools etc in. Often your best chance of avoiding your bike being stolen is to make it look more difficult to steal than others locked near it.

chriscross1966

Über Member
What's a brompton?
Update my brakes broken a bit on my current bike so i'm using my brother's bike till i get brakes sorted
A Brompton is The Truth, The Light and The Way... It does have the useful anti theft device of portability into buildings and living under your desk..., and having a warm dry saddle at the end of the day is nice

A Brompton is The Truth, The Light and The Way... It does have the useful anti theft device of portability into buildings and living under your desk..., and having a warm dry saddle at the end of the day is nice
She's a student. Lugging a Brompton between lectures would both be a pain and make you look like a weirdo. Locking one on campus would be madness.

Bromptons are for when you have a desk to put it under.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
vickster said:
You can take a Brompton inside with you. No need to leave at the mercy of thieves. A couple if heavy D locks will offer cheaper, if not foolproof, security

Two problems with Bromptons from my point of view, one is they are very expensive for essentially a short-distance commuter machine, the other thing is they are a "Marmite" bike - as they don't ride remotely like anything with 26" or larger wheels. I once had a short ride on one owned by a friend who uses his to go down the pub (his "proper" bike is a Dawes Galaxy tourer), and that was enough to convince me that I wouldn't be able to live with one myself, no matter how nicely built they are. I've also noticed that even though my friend takes his into the pub with him folded, he still has to keep his eye on it constantly, and I even have to watch it for him whilst he's at the bar getting more beer!

I have limited faith in ANY bicycle locks, if they are used to secure anything valuable enough for a thief to make the effort for. Recently I had to cut a D lock off a cheap MTB I fished out of a skip as the previous owner had locked it around the crossbar. It was fairly easy for me to remove with just 30" bolt cutters, and if I'd got my old but top quality 36" Record ones from work and used those, it would have just taken me a few seconds to cut through.

rivers

How far can I go?
If you're going to be using it for commuting to college and work experience, as well as a general run around, I would suggest a hybrid with a rigid fork, that can take mudguards and a rack. Evans own brand Pinnacle are a decent spec for the money, as are Carrera amd Boardman from Halfords. As your parents are buying the bike for you, I highly doubt they will be willing to spend over £400-£500, so if you are looking at new bikes, it's what I would suggest. Not sure of your area, but check to see if there any bike shops around that sell used bikes. If the shop is reputable, they hopefully would have given it a tune-up and replaced worn parts before selling on. You would get a higher spec bike for the money. I know there are a few such shops in Bristol and Bath if you're in the West country.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

If you're going to be using it for commuting to college and work experience, as well as a general run around, I would suggest a hybrid with a rigid fork, that can take mudguards and a rack. Evans own brand Pinnacle are a decent spec for the money, as are Carrera amd Boardman from Halfords. As your parents are buying the bike for you, I highly doubt they will be willing to spend over £400-£500, so if you are looking at new bikes, it's what I would suggest. Not sure of your area, but check to see if there any bike shops around that sell used bikes. If the shop is reputable, they hopefully would have given it a tune-up and replaced worn parts before selling on. You would get a higher spec bike for the money. I know there are a few such shops in Bristol and Bath if you're in the West country.
Thanks and i live in Berkshire guys.

xzenonuk

Veteran
i think i would recommend a hybrid as well for a commuting machine to college etc plus any more adventurous rides when you go exploring if you get the bug,

i reckon a rigid fork hybrid so that the money goes else where in the bike like gears etc :smile:

try out decathlon and have a look you can ride their bikes around the shop floor btw lol

got 2 decathlon bikes and i cannot fault them about 500 miles on a triban 500 se i got about 4 month ago and over 3000 miles on a old rock rider 540 mtb, get the odd minor issue like any bike but easily fixed with the internet or some one who knows what their doing.

they do some nice looking hybrids which would be inbetween my 2 bikes and you get a lot of bang per buck from them :smile:

when i got my mtb it would of costed 150 more pounds for a giant branded bike with similar spec for example and my btwin was lighter as well as been lighter on the wallet :smile:

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Panniers stop the sweaty back syndrome and means you can carry more , i have to carry sarnies, work clothes , add in a couple of inner tubes, tools, pump, water proofs etc and its a fair lump i wouldnt like on my back.
I would suggest trying a few sorts of bike to see what suits you , if your sticking to flat bar hybrid style look at ones with road bike size wheels and tyres , i prefer racing or drop bar bikes as i like the variety of hand positions you can use and the ability to get into an aero tuck when battling the wind .

Top Bottom