What to consider when getting a new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
A lot of people will decry low-budget steel rigid-framed MTB's and Hybrids and dismiss them all as BSO's, but if you think about it, these bikes are the modern interpretation of the classic utility light roadster - which until at least the 1980's, was used by millions in this country for getting to work and general utility riding. In some respects they are even an improvement - 26" MTB alloy rims give better wet braking performance than 26" x 1 3/8" roadster steels, and the big volume tyres tend to ride better.

Last edited:
Panniers stop the sweaty back syndrome and means you can carry more , i have to carry sarnies, work clothes , add in a couple of inner tubes, tools, pump, water proofs etc and its a fair lump i wouldnt like on my back.
She's still a student, so anything strapped to the bike gets dragged around campus all day. Two panniers stuffed with wet weather gear etc make sense only if you have somewhere to stow them.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

She's still a student, so anything strapped to the bike gets dragged around campus all day. Two panniers stuffed with wet weather gear etc make sense only if you have somewhere to stow them.
I agree with this. As all i carry in my backpack is:
  • Folder/books
  • Water Bottle
  • Lunch
  • Spare Inner tube
  • Tyre levers
  • Spare batteries for bike lights
  • Medical stuff

Like i don't carry laptop or anything really heavy my backpack is pretty light and i put my bike helmet in my bag as well when i lock my bike up. So i don't really need panniers and i always carry a coat incase it rains.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Fair enough, i tend to forget most peoples commutes are not like mine where your stuck , cold or wet if something happens .Its not like i can pop into the LBS or catch a bus .
It was fun riding up this at 5.30 am in the pitch dark blowing a gale
https://goo.gl/maps/tp15kyybFbH2
I was just highlighting the benefits of panniers .

Top Bottom