What to do for a week

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I’ve booked a ferry to Hoek at the end of the month, and back eight days later. I’m taking a tent but willing to use B&Bs if one takes my fancy. My usual (solo) touring style is to have a direction in mind but not book ahead, and I’ve never yet been stuck for somewhere decent to stay overnight. Is that likely to remain viable this year with so many people staycationing?

I’m tempted to stay south and see a bit of Belgian as well as Dutch countryside but equally I could roughly follow the Rhine into Germany before looping back. I’d like to avoid larger cities. I usually tour at about 120 km per day.

Any helpful thoughts or suggestions?

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Over a similar period of a week, I've been toying with the idea of heading over to experience the three "Fietsen door ..." (...het water, ...de bomen & ...de bos). Cycling through the water, the trees and the woods e.g. https://www.visitlimburg.be/en/cycling-through-water
Plenty of route choices; out through the Netherlands and back through Belgium?

I’ve never yet been stuck for somewhere decent to stay overnight. Is that likely to remain viable this year with so many people staycationing?
From what I hear NL is pretty much post - COVID, almost as if it never happened. That being said I'd suggest being flexible - if your usual method isn't working after a couple of days have a backup plan, either booking campsites or Booking/AirBnB etc.

Any helpful thoughts or suggestions?
What do you like?
Lots of breweries in Belgium. If history is your thing lots of WW I memorials. There's a few ways of doing the Rhine from Rotterdam. The problem is that from the Dutch border to maybe Cologne it's not that interesting.
I haven't checked the distance but the Vennbahn (Aachen to Luxembourg) might be interesting? No problem to take a bike in the train in NL if short of time. There's hills too! There's a national park down there too. Very pretty and bike friendly - but hilly. Eiffel, I think it's called.

You really can't go wrong TN that area, though. Have a great trip!

OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
What do you like?
I’m not really one for stopping en route for pre-planned attractions. Serendipity is good but mostly I enjoy the ride and seeing the kilometres tick over, especially if the surroundings are good. I’m happy to pause for refreshments along the way and if there’s a nearby quiet bar or restaurant in the evening.that’s a bonus.

I sail tomorrow and still haven’t settled on even a vague route. Still plenty of time :smile:

There's a wonderful freedom in choosing (and changing!) a destination each day. In the part of the world you're going to there's nearly always the option of hopping on a train near the end to get you back on track for your ferry.

Have a great time!

Top Bottom