What to do if a dog attacks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
I now have a referees whistle which I blow early in the cycle.
Owner acts all astonished. Usually grabs dog.
Then you get the "wouldn't hurt a lamb" routine.
I offer to show them the scars where a dog got me off a bike.

I've found a squishy water bottle allows me to squirt water right in their face. It's pretty effective.
Using the bike as a shield is a great idea until there are more than one dog.
Understanding dogs and reading their body language can help a lot as well. But that's a long term project ^_^
If encountering a dog on a regular route is an issue I'd be reporting it to the relevant authorities.

The one occasion I had a hostile farm dog it was in front of me, and I accelerated, waited till I was close, stood up and yelled. The combination of sudden size and noise seemed to work. I have a voice that can bounce off the back of an auditorium when needed, which probably helps.

Emanresu

Farm dogs are usually satisfied at chasing you off so getting off your bike is not usually a good idea. And the really scary ones are on a lead during the day. The worst set I've seen was a feral pack in rural Greece. You just cycle and pray they are not interested in you.

Attitudes to dogs are different in different countries. We have a Spanish rescue dog which was dumped out of a car which my niece picked up and kept. It's grown up to be absolutely bonkers so has to be on a lead all the time.

Last edited:

Chief Broom

Veteran
What works sometimes when walking is to turn your back to the dog which seems to 'defuse' the engagement and allows the dog to calm down. I was attacked on my local beach last year though and nothing short of kicking the ****er in the ribs would stop it. :rolleyes:

Been bitten several times now over this way by various dogs. One attack meant a visit to the local hospital to have it cleaned up and bandaged.
On my recumbent rides, where I'm lower down and more at risk, I usually carry a length of plastic pipe for some protection.
A few years back I was riding my trike over to the local golf course for a jaunt, and had half a dozen chasing me, but a wallop on the lead dogs snout seemed to do the trick, and off they scampered. I don't hate dogs, but also, I don't trust them.

Fastpedaller

I've found a squishy water bottle allows me to squirt water right in their face. It's pretty effective.
Using the bike as a shield is a great idea until there are more than one dog.
Understanding dogs and reading their body language can help a lot as well. But that's a long term project ^_^
If encountering a dog on a regular route is an issue I'd be reporting it to the relevant authorities.

And from my experience nothing will be done. Long story (which I won't go into), but only stopped when I told the Police I'd speak to the local farmer who could shoot the beast (he didn't as far as I know)

Top Bottom