What to do if rear ended?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicycle

I'm sure you could put an auto-activated brake light together relatively simply and cheaply using a mercury tilt switch. It might need some careful calibration so it doesn't activate on steep downhills, though,

I worry about brake lights on bicycles. Maybe an affordable system will be designed and put on the market.

Maybe a few people will fit them. Some will fit them properly. Batteries will expire. Bulbs/LEDs will go phut.

Cycle Brake Lights will attract some media attention. Then someone without brake lights will get rear-ended...

And the driver might say "I didn't see any brake lights". And the media might say "The rider had no brake lights".

The heavy-heavy anti-helmet brigade already have enough to be cross about. This might make one or two explode.

No lights illuminate at the rear of my car when I throttle off. People seem to know when I'm slowing.

I'd leave things as they are and (in line with Mr Paul's comments above), I'd try to stay calm and polite if I did get bumped.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Who are these 'anti-helmet brigade' you are writing about? Have never seen any on this forum, though have seen seen plenty of anti-compulsionist's posting.

Dan B

Disengaged member
And the driver might say "I didn't see any brake lights". And the media might say "The rider had no brake lights".
Indeed
The use of any rear warning weakens the sense of responsibility of the driver of an overtaking vehicle to avoid running down a vehicle or pedestrian in front of him
From "Cyclists’ Touring Club (n.d. a) Leaflet 2 – Rear Warnings", part of a series ‘In Defence of Cyclists’ produced in the 1930s

Dan B

Disengaged member
Who are these 'anti-helmet brigade' you are writing about? Have never seen any on this forum, though have seen seen plenty of anti-compulsionist's posting.
I'd definitely be against heavy heavy helmets, though. Hot and sweaty, eurgh

Bicycle

Sorry, I invented them. The lack of reaction is the proof that they don't exist.

I was wrong and I am a naughty troll. :troll:

But the point I made about brake lights was a serious one.

Dan_h

The guy in the video brought the rear end on himself as he stopped. He could see a car was right behind him, beeping agressively. He just encouraged a collision to happen.

I agree with this, the cyclist did choose to stop directly in the drivers path in order to have a go at him for beeping. The driver should have had the space to stop without hitting him, but was clearly not expecting him to just stop, hence the bump.

While the incident was, I think, technically the driver's fault the guy on the bike could have avoided it by just ignoring the beeping. Hitting the brakes in a fit of road rage was clearly not the way forward. It strikes me that he was lucky it was on old guy in the car and not someone with an attitude like his or the situation could have been worse.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
It strikes me that he was lucky it was on old guy in the car and not someone with an attitude like his or the situation could have been worse.

+1 He was lucky in this situation that the poor old guy only had a bit of a mouth on him. The cyclist was quite agressive and rude in the way that he was conducting himself.
ORDERING someone to pull over isnt the way to do things. He could have simply stated to the guy that he will need to pull over and exchange details. The cyclists didnt even think of this, he was just worried about his mudguard and bickering with the driver. Tut tut.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
+1 He was lucky in this situation that the poor old guy only had a bit of a mouth on him. The cyclist was quite agressive and rude in the way that he was conducting himself.
ORDERING someone to pull over isnt the way to do things. He could have simply stated to the guy that he will need to pull over and exchange details. The cyclists didnt even think of this, he was just worried about his mudguard and bickering with the driver. Tut tut.

And as you know full well, things could have been very different..

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums...urrent=RF05EES-Veryagressiveconfrontation.mp4

When he was revving, he was tailgating. What would have happened if I had jammed on my brakes with this kind of driver behind me?
Why would you jam your brakes on? Especially with someone tailgating you. If possible pull over and just let the idiot in front of you.

Don't forget that we do not have brake lights, so a tailgating monkey is in no way going to be able to avoid going into the back of you if you stop sharply.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
If you cannot afford new mudguards, you now know what to do: cycle in the middle of the carriageway at little more than brisk walking pace making sure that a car is in close proximetry and jam your anchors on.
No mudguards but you want a new wheel? First of all pracice emergency stopa at about 10-15 mph; unclip your feet from the pedals so you can get them down quickly so you wont damage yourself and cycle in the middle of the carriageway at your preferred speed making sure that a car is in close proximetry and jam your anchors on.
New bikes are also available - just make sure the driver is aggressive and possibly carrying a baseball bat. Then just taunt him and goad him. This is done better in late October/early November; your injuries will probably be healed by Christmas, you will miss a few months bad weather commuting and the compensation cheque will arrive just before spring so your new bike is waiting for you!

Top Bottom