What to do in a thunderstorm?!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
how many people killed by lightening every year out of however many million people and thousand thunder storms?

Of course, you're right that the chances of being hit by lightning are very small - but that shouldn't lead to complacency. We've already seen in this thread one guy who's actually been hit by lightning (not directly, but through a fence). We've also heard from people who have seen cows and football players being hit. The thing is, although the chances of being directly hit are small, the chances of being injured or even killed indirectly are high enough that you should take it very seriously.

That's part of the answer but the principle one is the current flows away from the point of the lightning strike through the ground. The ground is a resistance and as you will remember from Ohm's Law at school, current flowing through a resistor generates a voltage. The greater the distance betwen two points the bigger the resistance between them and the bigger the voltage. Now on a cow the legs are far apart at the four corners and there is a heart between the front and the back legs. The lightining strike creates a big voltage between those legs causing current to flow up the back legs, through the heart and down the front legs (or vice versa) This stops the cows heart. The farmer on the other hand has two legs close together with usually just one of his brains in between them. So the voltage is much smaller and the current doesn't flow through his heart in going up one leg and down the other. But a former work colleague was playing in a football match when the pitch was struck and both teams ended up unconscious on the ground so there is an element of luck (plus footballers seem to be much more dependent on the brain between their legs)

This is great! I don't think I've ever heard anyone illustrating the principles of electricity with grazing cows before! A fine show!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Hang on.

Isnt the lightning (electricity) just looking for the easiest way to ground (negative)?
Why would it travel up one leg and down the other?
Surely the route it has to travel up one leg and down the other is longer and has more resistance than the route it would take through the ground, between the feet?
balls of steel?

I've found this thread both entertaining and informative - thanks, one and all!

Hang on.

Isnt the lightning (electricity) just looking for the easiest way to ground (negative)?
Why would it travel up one leg and down the other?
Surely the route it has to travel up one leg and down the other is longer and has more resistance than the route it would take through the ground, between the feet?

Ah but in reality those legs are just bags full of salty water which is a good conductor.

But in reality the current will flow through both routes with the split being in inverse proportion to the resistance of each.

Holdsworth

Über Member
Also rubber tyres make no difference to the path or severity of damage caused by lightning. The insulating effects are made null and void by the sheer power of the strike and as said before lightning will take the easiest path to the ground. This may be straight through through the tyre or jumping the short distance from the bodywork/frame to the ground. It has already travelled a mile or more to the ground, a few extra inches of air is nothing.

So you reckon that something that is powerful enough to ionise up to 30 km of air to blast a current through it is going to have 'second thoughts' when it comes against a few mm of rubber? :whistle:

I'm basing my opinion on lightning being like burglars and if one target looks harder than a near neighbour, the near neighbour cops it. So I'm guessing the rubber could be enough if there's an easier path nearby?

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Seems to me that the older I get, the more I respect storms. I guess it all started for me when I was a mountain leader. In those days, I was responsible for the safety of others in my group. I learned to quit being naive about the danger storms present and face up to the fact that you really have to be alert to them. There's an article about it in travelling two. These guys need no introduction to the cycling tourist crowd. But even the author of this article admits that they find storms amongst the scariest things on their travels. As they say, you shouldn't be hung up about storms too much, you do need to put things in perspective. But a healthy amount of respect for the power of storms and knowing what to do if you can't find shelter could save your bacon one day.

Davidc

Guru
If you're on a bike make sure you're wearing a helmet and you'll be fine - the helmet's made of polystyrene and that's an insulator!

(Ducks, takes cover, and runs).

Top Bottom