What to do - Repair or buy new?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SportyPorty

Hey guys, I'm new here so Hi to everyone.

Here's my dilema. I cycle to work every day and cover about 2,500 miles annually. I also occasionally ride (light) off-road with my kids at the weekends/weekends.

I know it's only a cheap bike, so maybe this forum is a bit speciallised for my question. Probably have a load of enthusiasts flamming me for even asking this question, but for what it's worth, I'd be gratefull for any suggestions

I currently have a two year old Saracen Rufftrax 3 (22") as I prefer a mountain bike style of riding rather than a commuter/road bike. After 5,000 miles it's getting a bit worn out. The rear wheel is snapping spokes regularly, the forks are shot, cassette is a bit worn and the gears are really sloppy. But the frame/brakes/everything else is in pretty good working order.

So what do you think I'd be best doing? Throwing it in the bin and buying another bike the same for £250 and replacing it on a two year cycle (no pun intended) or throw some of my hard-earned and buying a new rear wheel, gears and forks for it? I think I can get a rear wheel on ebay for about £35. So, what forks and gears would fit? I don't need racing spec stuff, but I'd like something that will last or at least be able to rebuild.

I've asked about the ride-to-work scheme but my company does not subscribe to it. ;)

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire

Noodley

The cost of new wheel, forks, cassette, chain (you say it's fine but might not be if you get new cassette) adds up...you might be able to pick up a new bike for not much more than the cost of replacing.

And welcome to the forum ;)

tyred

Legendary Member
You may end up spending more than a similar new bike would cost but on the other hand, you can choose what components you put on it, buy a new bike, you take what you're given. If the bike is comfortable for you, I would say repair. If money is tight, you can do it as you can afford to, starting with whatever needs most urgent attention. Watch ebay carefully, you can find some bargains.

Noodley said:
The cost of new wheel, forks, cassette, chain (you say it's fine but might not be if you get new cassette) adds up...you might be able to pick up a new bike for not much more than the cost of replacing.

And welcome to the forum :smile:

My thoughts exactly.....

I was quoted £10 by my LBS for releasing a jammed lockring on a Shimano cassette, and spoke to a guy last night who was charged £60 by Halfords for removing handlebars that had jammed (rusted after being left in the rain).

If you can do the work yourself, and are in no rush, you could pick up bits off fleabay or something, but I would look very closely at the comparative costs.

Personally I hate working on my bikes, and have yet to be totally satisfied with any renovation work I've done. And last year I rebuilt 3 bikes one of which was a Saracen - and that was a good bike and has been used every day since (not by me though)...

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
A rigid fork will last forever and doesn't have to cost much. Doubt you need suspension for light off-road use, and you'll save weight for the commute.
Decathlon do a good rear wheel for £26, i've got one on my mountain bike and it's great.
New cassette is only a few quid and replace the most worn out chain ring, probably the middle one. New chain. Good clean and de-grease, new set of grips for the new bike look and it'll be like new for about 70 quid.

If you really want to splash out put a new set of cables and outers on to remind you what good braking and shifting used to be like.

GrahamG

Guru
upsidedown said:
A rigid fork will last forever and doesn't have to cost much. Doubt you need suspension for light off-road use, and you'll save weight for the commute.
Decathlon do a good rear wheel for £26, i've got one on my mountain bike and it's great.
New cassette is only a few quid and replace the most worn out chain ring, probably the middle one. New chain. Good clean and de-grease, new set of grips for the new bike look and it'll be like new for about 70 quid.

If you really want to splash out put a new set of cables and outers on to remind you what good braking and shifting used to be like.

Top advice - just check back here if you need guidance on any of the above.

OP
OP
S

SportyPorty

Hey Guys, thanks for the replies. I think I will, for now anyways, patch it up so it gets me another year or so of use, by then I'm hoping my company will join the cycle-to-work scheme. They are currently considering it.
So I've bagged a rear wheel and cassette on ebay for £39 and a cheap chain and cable set in Asda for £4 each. (I know they won't be the best quality, but it's only a stop gap.) Then, next week I'm planning to rebuild the forks, they are Suntour XCM's. Hopefully that will do for now, along with a strip down, clean, grease and rebuild of anything else that needs it.
I'll let you know how I get on, cheers and thanks again for your advise.

Globalti

Legendary Member
There's a philosophical point here: a good comfortable bike can go on giving you service for many years as you upgrade and improve it to suit you. Just because the components are worn out doesn't mean you need to throw it away; bikes can be rebuilt ad infinitum.

Get rid of those forks though and buy a second-hand Pace carbon rigid fork off Ebay.

Top Bottom