What to do with bike that's too big?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sabian92

Über Member
Afternoon all,

A few years back I bought a Carerra Virtuoso. I'd come from a hybrid (a very cheap one) that was quite upright and the racier position was quite a new thing to get used to, but I thought the head low, stretched out position was the way it was supposed to be. But it was the last one they had, on sale as new (and worse stock, they downgraded the bikes and kept the price the same) so I bought it. I commuted on it for about 12 months before knocking it on the head as it was giving me a fair bit of wrist pain, even on the hoods/bars. I can't use the drops on them, it's too uncomfortable and I can't reach the brakes anyway :laugh::whistle:

As it stands I'm currently not riding it as it's actually really horrid to ride - sore wrists, all my weight on my hands etc - it's not nice at all. I'd flog it on or even chuck it but I've put quite a bit of money into it. I've had new hand built wheels (£180) as the originals are awful (I'm heavy so was breaking spokes all the time), I've had a new 30 degree stem bought (but not fitted yet) that brings the bars higher and closer, I've stuck Shimano M520s on and I've also done general stuff like a new chain (that's done probably less than 25 miles but needed replacing), new pads etc. I put 2 new Marathon + on it as well at a cost of £65 (!).:cry:

I suppose one option is break it down and sell the wheels/tyres, keep the pedals for another bike and just take the hit on the stem (it was only £20), or flog it on for a huge loss as a complete bike. Other option is to do nothing and just never ride it but it's taking up room in our (very small) shed and I've got a new bike coming in the next month or so (A new Disc Trucker).

It's in good nick, if in need of a quick wipe down so that's one good thing I suppose.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
If it's no use to you, you're better off giving it away than merely having it as clutter. The money sunk into it is gone.
Of course, if you can get a modest price by selling it on that's a bonus, but you need to be realistic - it ain't a 531 handbuilt blingtastic something-or-other so presumably not worth much.

You could have bought a new frame, and swapped everything over if the upgrades had a value, but as you've bought a complete bike, that ship has sailed.

You could also sell it as bits, but can you really be arsed ? Even the bits are likely not worth that much. Pair of Marathons £65 new, pair of second hand marathons - about 10 pence I guess.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Are the original wheels serviceable at present? If so, pop the original tyres back on them and sell the bike complete. Keep the handbuilt wheels and sell them separately, they'd be excellent for a new rider looking to upgrade. Fit the pedals to the new bike.

The Virtuoso is a decent bike, you've just found out that a road bike that's too big is, literally, a pain.

why not pop over the decathlon and pick up a set of wheels about £30 each and flog on the handbuilt wheels seperately?

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member
If it's no use to you, you're better off giving it away than merely having it as clutter. The money sunk into it is gone.
Of course, if you can get a modest price by selling it on that's a bonus, but you need to be realistic - it ain't a 531 handbuilt blingtastic something-or-other so presumably not worth much.

You could have bought a new frame, and swapped everything over if the upgrades had a value, but as you've bought a complete bike, that ship has sailed.

You could also sell it as bits, but can you really be arsed ? Even the bits are likely not worth that much. Pair of Marathons £65 new, pair of second hand marathons - about 10 pence I guess.

Honestly, no, I'm not :laugh: It's too much hassle for not enough reward. I've not actually bought my disc trucker yet and I'm only buying a frameset - I'd swap bits over but the gearing is too high, the wheel won't fit (700c wheels on a 26" frame), I'm going for a triple rather than a compact... they're about as polar opposite as possible :tongue:.

Have you tried a shorter stem ?
I use a carrera vanquish for commuting and i needed a 80 mm stem as its a bit big .

I've bought one, just not fitted it yet. Going to get round to it on Monday - been busy with work and studying. I've got a 60mm stem with a 30 degree rise so it should really change the riding position but to what extent I have no idea - if it's too big, it's too big.

Let us have a few pictures of you sitting on it and the advice will be more worth while, It could be you and not the bike size.

Lordy :laugh::blush: I'll have to rope in my fiancee for that so it'll be Monday if not Tuesday.

Put original wheels and pedals back on. Flog it.
Will your M+ tyres fit on Surly LHT rims?

I binned the pedals (they're horrid plastic ones worth about 4 pence) and the original wheels went as well as as they were buckled, broken and very knackered.

They won't, no. The frame size I'm going for (54) only comes in 26" wheel size.

Stuffed myself in a corner a bit to be honest. :tongue:

Stuffed myself in a corner a bit to be honest. :tongue:
Skewered! One sympathizes.

Cyclist33

Not sure what the fuss is about. Identify the parts you value / want to retain. Strip them and sell the remainder. Buy a new bike focusing on frame size and quality. Have the retained parts fitted to it. Sell the new components that you have left over, or keep them for spares.

I also think you could be mistaken thinking the bikes too big. On my bikes even a very small position adjustment makes the difference between utter comfort and pain. How much position tweaking have you tried? Is your saddle too far back, or higher than it needs? Also your own flexibility. Do you stretch? Work out?

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member
Not sure what the fuss is about. Identify the parts you value / want to retain. Strip them and sell the remainder. Buy a new bike focusing on frame size and quality. Have the retained parts fitted to it. Sell the new components that you have left over, or keep them for spares.

I also think you could be mistaken thinking the bikes too big. On my bikes even a very small position adjustment makes the difference between utter comfort and pain. How much position tweaking have you tried? Is your saddle too far back, or higher than it needs? Also your own flexibility. Do you stretch? Work out?

Honestly, only the wheels (and lights, but obviously that's not quite the same). The rest is either Sora or 2300 kit, and not really worth keeping.

I've done endless messing with it, I've had it 5 years nearly so I've had a lot of time to tinker and it's never been comfortable. I've got a new stem that I'm yet to fit but honestly I doubt it'll make a huge amount of difference as I'm very stretched out as it is, and it's not a huge amount shorter/higher.

I don't stretch/work out but I desperately need to - I'm on anti-depressants that have caused huge weight gain (just as well they work then, I suppose!) and need to lose about 6st. I looked at a new bike as I hate riding my current one (because of the pain it causes) and I desperately need to start doing some exercise. I hate gyms with a passion so this is the best option for me.

Cyclist33

Honestly, only the wheels (and lights, but obviously that's not quite the same). The rest is either Sora or 2300 kit, and not really worth keeping.

I've done endless messing with it, I've had it 5 years nearly so I've had a lot of time to tinker and it's never been comfortable. I've got a new stem that I'm yet to fit but honestly I doubt it'll make a huge amount of difference as I'm very stretched out as it is, and it's not a huge amount shorter/higher.

I don't stretch/work out but I desperately need to - I'm on anti-depressants that have caused huge weight gain (just as well they work then, I suppose!) and need to lose about 6st. I looked at a new bike as I hate riding my current one (because of the pain it causes) and I desperately need to start doing some exercise. I hate gyms with a passion so this is the best option for me.
Sound as a dollar pound then, all I'm really suggesting is maybe the stretching should precede buying a different bike...

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member
Sound as a dollar pound then, all I'm really suggesting is maybe the stretching should precede buying a different bike...

Yeah, you're probably right. Either way, I need more exercise (and it's pretty good excuse for a new bike, especially one that fits!) so I'm just choosing what I want. I was pretty set on a Disc Trucker but I've just seen a Kinesis Crosslight Pro6.... :wub: in green!

Top Bottom