What to do with bike that's too big?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member
6 stone, that is a lot. Spend if you want to, but have you ridden the bike without the weight?

It is a lot indeed. I'm 18 and a bit stone, should be around 12st (I'm 5'11 FWIW). I've ridden it at 14st but gave up riding the further I sank into depression as I just couldn't face getting it out of the shed and going for even a quick pootle for half an hour.

Thankfully I'm quite a bit better mentally these days (even if it is via citalopram!) but it's caused me to put on a ridiculous amount of weight (over 2st all in, I was overweight anyway at 16st). I need a form of exercise, I want a bike I can tour on because I'd love to go and do it (I know that sounds entirely backwards considering I've just said some days I couldn't bare to even get out of bed basically) and I've just got my first proper job ^_^

Cyclist33

You could always get a mountain bike as a) they are heavier so get you fitter and b) a great deal of fun on trails which can be a real confidence booster.

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member
You could always get a mountain bike as a) they are heavier so get you fitter and b) a great deal of fun on trails which can be a real confidence booster.

Sod that, I weigh enough as it is! All joking aside, I have no interest in riding on trails so a mountain bike isn't hugely beneficial to me. Not only that, I don't even think there are any near me anyway!

Cyclist33

Sod that, I weigh enough as it is! All joking aside, I have no interest in riding on trails so a mountain bike isn't hugely beneficial to me. Not only that, I don't even think there are any near me anyway!

Fair dos! There's always a trail to be found lurking nearby anywhere mind you. Doesn't have to be a trail centre or forest. Make yer own lol.

I'm just biased coz after seriously considering a vast number of hybrids for my n+1 I've bought a mountain bike and can't wait to collect the sod tomorrow and give it some mud!

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member
Fair dos! There's always a trail to be found lurking nearby anywhere mind you. Doesn't have to be a trail centre or forest. Make yer own lol.

I'm just biased coz after seriously considering a vast number of hybrids for my n+1 I've bought a mountain bike and can't wait to collect the sod tomorrow and give it some mud!

Nice, what did you end up buying?

You're not far from me, mind. I'm in Runcorn, but I was born in Warrington!

I'm off to my LBS to discuss various bits and bobs anyway - I was pretty set on a Disc Trucker but I'm not sure I am now, the Kinesis looks pretty nice... ^_^

Cyclist33

great reputation, kinesis tubes i hear..!

im on my way as we speak to crewe, for to collect my ghost se 2000 :smile:

got last years model for a shade under 400 quid, down from 620 so cant complain!

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Sounds to me like, in the words of my departed FiL, the bike doesn't owe you any money. You've had 5 years use out of it and done some riding on it in that time. It doesn't sound as if there's anything on it that you want to keep, so swapping parts off isn't going to have any real value.

I agree trying it with the new stem would be worthwhile, you've bought it, you might just as well give it a go, it might change things more than you realise. Presuming that does you no favours, decide what it's worth to you (factoring in the extra space of not having it around) and try and sell it on. Chuck the stem in your parts bin for some time in the future, sell it separately or add it in to the bike sale to get rid of it.

If the bike is of no use to you then having it sitting around is just a possible trigger to get grumpy.

Top Bottom