What to do with this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve1733

I've advertised this three times now (twice on Gumtree and once on ebay) without a single bid or enquiry. Considering it's in almost original mint condition I'm a bit surprised. So now I don't know what to do with it although I guess I have three options.

1] Keep advertising it. (surely someone will want it sooner or later)

2] Strip it and sell it for parts. The dynohub with lights should be worth something to someone.

3] Gear it up and keep it for myself. This would obviously mean changing the rear wheel. Although I could always stick on a double or triple chain wheel and convert the three speed Sturmey into a six or nine speed. I would need a chain tensioner on the back of some sort. An old deraileur would do, I suppose Has anyone tried this. I guess the chain line could be a problem especially with a triple?

Anyway, I need to do something with it.
P1000703.JPG

Pauluk

They don't make em like that anymore :smile: Looks in better condition than me and made about the same time.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Keep trying to sell it. At the rate things are going you'll sell that before I sell my house... grumble... grumble...:scratch:
HaHa !!
I have been on the market coming on 6 months and we have had 2 viewings, its priced well and is in good nick but round here houses can be on the market years......

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Have you inquired how much a courier would charge to deliver uk wide?
I wanted to buy a bike on ebay, but because of the collection only option I could not bid.
Maybe look into it and re advertise.
Or if you have a car you could deliver it yourself in certain areas.

Drago

Legendary Member
That's one in the Raleigh Twenty clones, also badged as Phillips, Triumph and BSA. Moderately collectible and can go for tidy money on eBay. There's quite a cult of modifying them with up posh chainsets, drop bars, even front suspension. Even the great Sheldon Brown was a fan.

400bhp

Guru
Perhaps use the for sale forum :whistle:

OP
OP
S

Steve1733

Have you inquired how much a courier would charge to deliver uk wide?
I wanted to buy a bike on ebay, but because of the collection only option I could not bid.
Maybe look into it and re advertise.
Or if you have a car you could deliver it yourself in certain areas.

I do what I can so a prospective buyer can see any bike I'm selling. I live off the beaten track so I've picked people from the station, or I've loaded the bike in the car and taken it to the station. Whatever makes it easier for the person in question I'll do what I can to help them out.

I also tell buyers to take the bike for two days and if they are not happy with it I'll give them their money back provided it's returned in the same condition. As of yet no-one has taken up this offer.

I recently looked into a courier service and found a company in Paisley. They offered bike delivery service for just over £22. One guy in London was really keen to buy a bike from me so I drove to my nearest Hallfords and was given a bike box so I could have the bike delivered to him, but the scrote never called me back. Makes me wonder why I bother.

I don't fix up old bikes to make money, because you can't. It's just a hobby and I get save old bikes (mainly road bikes from the 80's) that are ready to be skipped and get them back on the road in a reliable condition and good for some years to come.

Top Bottom