What to do.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

I`m in a bit of a quandary as what to do with I bike I found today. I work in environment protection and today I found a Trek Series 4 Alpha Aluminium bike that had been dumped in a local fly-tipping site.

Now, I do not believe that the bike has been stolen due to the condition it`s in – the brakes nor the gear shifters work, the cassette is caked in dirt/grease, the cranks wobble like jelly and the seat is taped up with parcel tape. Any nuts also seem rusted although I could take the front tyre off with a wee bit of brute force. Also, the suspension system looks a bit rusty too.Funnily enough, the tyres themselves look fine and spin true and still seem rather well pumped up.

I popped the bike into my van and then called into the local police station just in case someone reported me! The policeman agreed with me that the bike was in poorish condition and had most likely been dumped and if I was willing to take it to the dump, he`d be happy with that.

Now I keep looking at the bike and thinking if only I knew how to replace the above items, the bike would be more than useable again – however, if I took it to my local bike shop to be repaired, it would probably cost more than the bike was worth!

Any advice on what I should do would be well appreciated – I haven`t the heart to take it to the dump as I`m sure it`s more than rescueable (if there`s such a word). I`ll check back later this evening for replies

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
You have found it. You have told the police you have found it. After a period of so many weeks if no-one has walked into the police station asking about it, I think you could regard it as yours. It has been abandoned by the original owner. I would give it a good home, personally.

If you just don't want to see it going to waste, The Bike Station (clicky) will probably take it off your hands and fix it up and pass on.

If you want to fix it up yourself they also hire out space and tools along with free advice. They stock second hand parts at cheaper than new prices as well if bits need replacing.

D

Deleted member 1258

If your bike repair/maintenance skills aren't good use the bike to learn on, enjoy giving it a strip and a rebuild and learn as you go.

snorri

Legendary Member
I`ve just worked out it`s a Trek 4300 (series 4 ) altho I dont know what year so I still think any repairs will outweigh the value of the bike!
I wouldn't write it off at this stage. The age of a bike is really not so relevant unless you wanted a bike for competition, and it's not so old that spares would be difficult to source.
It is however rather difficult impossible for people on an internet forum to say if it is economic to repair. Have you got any friends or work colleagues who are knowledgable on bike things?

Hey man you confused me, Sunny Portrush but resident in Musselburgh:biggrin:

sidevalve

Über Member
If you fancy a budget rebuild it IS possible, but as above in most cases a good clean and lube up and many "dead" components come back to life. If the bike has been dumped it may well be a "lost interest" job not a "worn out" one and things like cassette, changers etc may be ok [under the muck]. You may need a BB and a few cables but they aint the most expensive things in the world and it's a good way to pass those rainy afternoons.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Since the council introduced a £ 30.00 levy for uplifting bulk items, I've found 3 abandoned bikes in my housing scheme.
Two were rust buckets that I stripped for spares, one just needed some tlc.
This last one I've been riding: if the person that dumped it wants it back he (it's a man's frame) can have it after I restore it to its original condition :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
I took it into my local bike shop (it`s a very good one btw) just for some advice. They said it would need a new bottom bracket, drive-train, chain and derailleur. We took the parcel tape from the saddle to find a rather large hole! This is been a bike that has been seriously mis-treated before being dumped. The only good thing about the bike was the frame! I think I`ll use it to try and improve my non-existent bike building capbilites and once I`ve made a horlicks of everything, I`ll donate it to the Bike Shed who`ll manage to build a decent bike from the frame

Top Bottom