What to do...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whiskey88

So today at an auction, I bought a 1960s Viking hybrid bike, it needs some work, but one area has left me debating how to move forward.

The front wheel is rather rusty, but contains a central, dynamo hub connected to what appears to be the original headlamp, which is bolted into the front fork itself. The headlamp is also a very motted chrome which has seen better days.

As both parts do need a lot of attention, do I just get rid of the light and replace the wheel with a standard front wheel? If I don't, then how do I progress forward whilst keeping the dynamo hub?

I think I might have bitten off more than I can chew with this new project.

if the dyno hub is in good working order ,could you not just lace it to another wheel ???

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
So today at an auction, I bought a 1960s Viking hybrid bike, it needs some work, but one area has left me debating how to move forward.

The front wheel is rather rusty, but contains a central, dynamo hub connected to what appears to be the original headlamp, which is bolted into the front fork itself. The headlamp is also a very motted chrome which has seen better days.

As both parts do need a lot of attention, do I just get rid of the light and replace the wheel with a standard front wheel? If I don't, then how do I progress forward whilst keeping the dynamo hub?

I think I might have bitten off more than I can chew with this new project.

If the bearings and hub is in good order then just replace in a new rim as already said, due to the age you might need to check for wear on the inside of the hub body too. IIRC there are places that can re-chrome things.Its expensive. Depends on how authentic you want the bike to be.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Whiskey88k somewhere in my garage i have a 27" alloy rim that is laced to a working dynamo hub that came from a 50's tourer just needs a good clean and poss trueing up .

OP
OP
Whiskey88

Whiskey88

Thanks for the comments guys, there seems to be a pattern forming and I feel it may be time to get the scrubbing brush and Silvo out.

@smokeysmoo - unfortunately the forum has failed when I've tried posting pics before, but managed this time at least.
@biggs682 - I would be interested but, unfortunately, I don't have any cash right now. The bike itself was only £40!
bike.jpeg

Top Bottom