what to eat before a ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
No one has mentioned liquid. Make sure you have a moderate drink of water, not too much mind, about 300-500mls, before you set off.

If you are are 15+ stone you are still too fat at the moment. Your dreams are unrealistic. So for the time being concentrate on losing weight and working on increasing your power to weight ratio so when you do pounce to take the crown from the group leader you aren't going to embarrass yourself, as for sure as hell, he and the other guys riding with him aren't going to appreciate you rocking up and spoiling their show. They will just stand on their pedals and drop you, bye!

OP
OP
T

turbopercy

If you are are 15+ stone you are still too fat at the moment.
Wow talk about a kick in the teeth thanks

screenman

Legendary Member

It was a remark like that that woke me up, about 5 stone ago. I am thankful I heard it, on my way down the only people who kept saying do not lose anymore, were over weight people.

I never picked up on that final point until somebody pointed it out to me.

To be fair you maybe solid muscle with a fat content of 5% but still you would be on the heavy side for the cycling you hope to do.

No doubt I will be reminded of a few exception, but 15kilo lighter would make going skywards at least easier.

screenman

Legendary Member
So what your saying is its motivational speaking at its bluntest!!

I would imagine different people react to different types of motivational speak, I am not saying right or wrong, I merely said that it works for me.

For you it may have hit a tender spot and did not work, so just ignore it.

Harsh as it sounds that is too heavy for racing. You've got to decide what you want, a leisurely ride out with the lads, no problem. Leaving behind all comers every ounce matters! I'm not a lot short of 6 foot 13 stone and to really compete I'd need to shed at least a stone and a half.

Am I bothered, well yes I am, diet, no beer, turbo 4 times a week starts now,

OP
OP
T

turbopercy

Am not after racing and the fact that it was said i am fat doesnt bother me its their opinion that they are entitled to i was just pointing out that i am not yet fit enough and was asking for some pointers to help me towards reaching a better level of fitness and being in that group gives me drive to improve i just need to improve the preparation side

Crankarm

Guru
Am not after racing and the fact that it was said i am fat doesnt bother me its their opinion that they are entitled to i was just pointing out that i am not yet fit enough and was asking for some pointers to help me towards reaching a better level of fitness and being in that group gives me drive to improve i just need to improve the preparation side

And ride more miles, a lot more miles, regularly and hard. If you want to be at the front you have to look like a racing whippet so cut out all the pies, beer, crisps, pizza, cake and such similar sh1t. Once making it to the front you have to defend your spot and show the rest of the group that you are up to the task of riding with them in the chain gang as an equal or better. If you can't take straight talking advice then you may as well give up now, go back to the sofa with your beers and Dorittos. Only kidding.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

It sounds like you have a similar build to me. I'm 14 stone and 5'10". Ex rugby player, lots of upper body muscle which is largely useless for cycling. 34" waist so I could do with losing a bit but not a lot. Unfortunately, if you have a naturally muscular physique you're stuck with it. I've done no weight training for 20+ years and cycled about 10,000 miles in the past 3 years and I'm still the same shape. This is why rugby players make crap cyclists and vice versa.
If you can lose a stone then I suspect you're doing well and that will help. At the same time concentrate on getting the watts up with hard rides (like you're doing) and maybe some interval training. You may have to accept that on hilly rides you will always struggle with the skinny whippets. However on rolling roads you should be able to keep up if you can get your watts up

Regarding food I always have a large bowl of porridge with fruit and honey. That's OK for about 3 hours of hard riding. More than that I take some flapjack with me

uclown2002

Guru
It sounds like you have a similar build to me. I'm 14 stone and 5'10". Ex rugby player, lots of upper body muscle which is largely useless for cycling. 34" waist so I could do with losing a bit but not a lot. Unfortunately, if you have a naturally muscular physique you're stuck with it. I've done no weight training for 20+ years and cycled about 10,000 miles in the past 3 years and I'm still the same shape. This is why rugby players make crap cyclists and vice versa.
As a matter of interest is that the size you take when buying trousers or an actual measurement taken 1" above your belly button. There is a remarkable difference between the two.
'Health experts' are suggesting it is very important to keep your (actual) waist size less than half your height. This is particularly useful, compared to BMI which is not good for the more muscular frames.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
As a matter of interest is that the size you take when buying trousers or an actual measurement taken 1" above your belly button. There is a remarkable difference between the two.
'Health experts' are suggesting it is very important to keep your (actual) waist size less than half your height. This is particularly useful, compared to BMI which is not good for the more muscular frames.

Proper measurement as taken by the Practice Nurse. You're right, my BMI is 27 (overweight) but I'm in the "normal" range when you use the waist measurement. So I ignore my BMI

Top Bottom