what to eat before a ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Bet you scream down the hills though, i have been on rides with more haeavily built riders and although i leave them on hills i just cant get the same speed down .

They should lose more going up than you do coming down, being smaller aero dynamics will also be on your side.

OP
OP
T

turbopercy

We have a very varied group i am the baby at 30 then our leader warren gell a well known name on the tt scene then we have two awesome climbers and then the rest of us of which the rest have been riding for at least 15 years so i know i am in at the deep end

If I know I'm off on a big ride, I'll have a banana. That's about it. Anything more is going to slow you down. Half way through I'll stop and have a coffee and something to eat. Then I'll eat properly when I'm done. It seems to work for me.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Nothing for me . If I do eat then I will leave it a few hours before riding . Bananas and flap jack on a ride seem fine .

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
What about a night before then do you eat loads of carbs otherwise where does your fuel come from
Nope , good quality food rather than say fish and chips but your muscle glycogen can only store about 90 mins worth so over eating the night before just means your going to store in as fat rather than as fuel.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
They should lose more going up than you do coming down, being smaller aero dynamics will also be on your side.
Indeed i can tuck in behind them downhill :smile:, uphill i have been known to sit on the toptube waiting at the top , but if i try it with the fast boys i get put in my place , ie at the back up or down hill :smile:

drummerbod

Obviously there are some differences
Time of ride
Length of ride
But what do people eat before a ride
Especially mornings as thats when i tend to ride

7.30am to 8am start
5+ hours - 35 to 50 miles 75% off road
Porridge (Scottish Oats) mixed with milk (1 part oats to 2 and a bit parts milk), add sultanas and a level tablespoon of demerara sugar. Heated up in microwave for 2m30s. Leave for 5 mins so oats can soke.

A banana or two half way through ride.

Last edited:

uclown2002

Guru
What about a night before then do you eat loads of carbs otherwise where does your fuel come from
I only eat between 1pm and 9 pm, and generally regular decent food with a few treats :-) No carb loading either. Once my glycogen runs out then burning fat for fuel. The human body isn't typically efficient at burning fat for fuel but it can be conditioned to do it more effectively.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
If I'm in the 45+ mile fast group - average 22-24mph - then I gotta eat properly. The fast group surges in pace, lots of VO2 max efforts and the half way sprint starts to wind up 7 miles out! If I've not eaten properly then I get shelled out the back after 15 miles. So, porridge or a big bowl or rice crispies + banana...PBJ toast is good too, yum....I aim for around 500 cals max. Anything over 500 calls one hour before is too much. I good slug of coffee too. Always have a narna at half time plus keep an energy gel as a safety net.

jcoomber

Caffeine for me, training and eating carbs generally in your diet will sufficiently load muscles with glycogen for an shorter ride. From that try and keep your sources a complex as possible to increase digestion time. 20g of carbs per hour is enough to regulate blood sugar levels. But more is required to maintain energy output.

Top Bottom