What to eat for breakfast before my long ride??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I realise I will need mainly carbs but some protein.
I am thinking
porridge?
banana?..........an hour or so before I start.

Any other suggestions???

I will be taking malt loaf, banana, flapjack & jely babies etc. on the actual ride but want to give myself the best chance by eating correctly BEFORE the ride.
Thanks

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Define long ride and how much long riding have you done before.

Great start is porridge mixed with banana and a coffee to get some caffeine into you, I probably wouldn't have any more than that TBH, you don't want to start out all stodgy and full of food, rather take it with me and snack as I go.

vickster

Legendary Member
Porridge, but that's my normal breakfast

Have a bowl of pasta the night before

Are you planning on doing the ride (100km iirc?) in one go without stops or is lunch, tea and cake planned? That'll have a bearing on what you need to eat and drink

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Have a bowl of pasta the night before

Are you planning on doing the ride (100km iirc?) in one go without stops or is lunch, tea and cake planned? That'll have a bearing on what you need to eat and drink

It will be 68 miles.
I am planning to stop but not sure how often is best...........possibly every 20 miles??? but with a lunch stop somewhere (maybe at a pie shop :smile: )
Good advice re' a bowl of pasta the night before.............thats the sort of advice that could make all the difference.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Do you have all day to do it, or a limit? Is is a bimble or a 'sportive'?

I have all day and will be as easy & pleasant as I can make it.
I am doing the research as I have no idea how many stops/how often/for how long is best.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think with a bowl of porridge, lunch, cake stop etc, you'll be fine with your snacks. Remember to drink regularly. If you have a savoury rather than sweet tooth, mix up the snacks with a sausage roll, ham sarnie or similar. Even I get bored of just sweet stuff while cycling all day!

Are you doing it alone or with a group?

vickster

Legendary Member
I have all day and will be as easy & pleasant as I can make it.
I am doing the research as I have no idea how many stops/how often/for how long is best.
Well if you have all day, assuming you do 12-14mph average nd are doing it once the days are longer, you should be able to stop every hour or two with no bother if you have 10 hours to do it

I wouldn't overthink it so much, plan a route with some nice tea shops/cafes along the way and enjoy the ride. Make sure you have a comfortable saddle and good padded shorts

If the distance is the decider, plan a loop route that's interesting but not too hilly

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I think with a bowl of porridge, lunch, cake stop etc, you'll be fine with your snacks. Remember to drink regularly. If you have a savoury rather than sweet tooth, mix up the snacks with a sausage roll, ham sarnie or similar. Even I get bored of just sweet stuff while cycling all day!

Are you doing it alone or with a group?

Probably with one other who is younger and fitter than me but also never done this length of ride.

vickster

Legendary Member
If I can do that sort of distance, I should think anyone can :smile:. Riding with someone else will make it easier. When are you doing it and how many miles are you riding in the roads a week at the moment?

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
When I do a long ride, what I eat for my dinner the night before also seems to affect my energy levels and stamina.

Top Bottom