What to look for on a CX bike?

Do you love epic awesome gum wall knobbys!

• YES YES YES!

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • No they are meh

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A.Z.KOETSIER

Ok so I am absolutely obsessed with Skin/Tan/Gum walls and Knobbly tires look so bad ass. So I have to get a CX bike

I have no experience with discs, are hydraulics much better than mechanical, and what about this mechanical hydro combos?

Been looking at mid entry level bikes such as the Scott CX 10 or Planet X XLS with Hydro Rival, are these both full hydro? any comments on geometry ?

What's the ultimate badass Gumwall knobbly on the market! does tyre width/volume make a massive difference i'm quite heavy +100kg not to keen on pinch flats as I see CX guys run like 3-4bar!
Cross_Mix.jpg

"ultimate badass" tyre - will you be racing or posing..??

If it's his bike. he can do whatever he wants.

I can't believe the hostility that seems to be flying around CC at the moment. Simple questions are asked and people are lambasted in return.

The season of internet bullying preceding the season of goodwill.

I like the Rocket Ron tyres on my Focus - recently bought. Not bad ass at all, but they look 'right' for my bike and don't need to 'pimp' it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7VOvD08uvd74ejBzijGhLAbeTAAyASMlxJEYaQN4kvNmKEAje7A.jpg

OP
OP
A.Z.KOETSIER

A.Z.KOETSIER

I can't believe the hostility that seems to be flying around CC at the moment. Simple questions are asked and people are lambasted in return.

I like the Rocket Ron tyres on my Focus - recently bought. Not bad ass at all, but they look 'right' for my bike and don't need to 'pimp' it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7VOvD08uvd74ejBzijGhLAbeTAAyASMlxJEYaQN4kvNmKEAje7A.jpg

Those Rockets look awesome indeed, the whole focus does actually. Another CX bike I should consider!

I've just returned to CC after a couple of year absence and tend to agree. When I was on last time there were some people that could be quite forceful with their opinions but at least it wasn't abusive.

I use Rockets on my current CX. Have had no problems with them. Undecided what I will use on my new build CX but haven't got around to researching tyres again.

Citius

3-4 bar is not unusual for CX clinchers, even lower on many, and lower still on tubs. Tubs are even more badass, but as ever, it depends on the conditions. Dry conditions require one type of badass tread pattern, while softer conditions require a deeper, more spaced badass tread pattern. If you only buy one 'badass' tyre, it will have to be a compromise - and therefore not particularly badass at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A.Z.KOETSIER

A.Z.KOETSIER

In which case, just buy whichever bike you think looks the most badass.

That's the idea , But I would still like to add some sense to my purchase as explained above. Does tyre volume make a difference for my weight at those low pressures. Are hydraulic disc worth the upgrade over mechanical.

PX XLS RIVAL HYD
FOCUS MARES AX
SCOTT SPEEDSTER CX 10 (although the local dealer wont have stock in my size till march, so that's probably out)

OP
OP
A.Z.KOETSIER

A.Z.KOETSIER

3-4 bar is not unusual for CX clinchers, even lower on many, and lower still on tubs. Tubs are even more badass, but as ever, it depends on the conditions. Dry conditions require one type of badass tread pattern, while softer conditions require a deeper, more spaced badass tread pattern. If you only buy one 'badass' tyre, it will have to be a compromise - and therefore not particularly badass at all.

Thank you for the badass advice. Are Tub CX wheels expensive, are punctures a common thing in CX? I was trying to stay on clinchers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Citius

Tyre volume will be limited by whichever bike you are buying and the clearance it has. Hydros are definitely preferable over cable disks, but CX events aren't won by riders with the best brakes in any case. Most cross bikes will take a 35 or 38mm tyre, which if you are 100kg+ and planning on racing, might be an idea.

Citius

Thank you for the badass advice. Are Tub CX wheels expensive, are punctures a common thing in CX? I was trying to stay on clinchers.

CX tubs are expensive, but if you are new to CX, then tubs are an extravagance you probably don't need. Although they will be at less risk of pinch flats, especially carrying 100kg.

OP
OP
A.Z.KOETSIER

A.Z.KOETSIER

Tyre volume will be limited by whichever bike you are buying and the clearance it has. Hydros are definitely preferable over cable disks, but CX events aren't won by riders with the best brakes in any case. Most cross bikes will take a 35 or 38mm tyre, which if you are 100kg+ and planning on racing, might be an idea.

Ok cool, I'll try and get 35-38mm clinchers then, Hydro Disc bikes all come with better group sets overall, another reason i'm leaning towards them.

Is there any reason for me to look at a single chainring option? coming from road the double seems more appealing.

Citius

For racing only, then single chain ring is becoming a sensible option for many. If you are combining road use as well, then single chain ring may be a limiter. Also worth pointing out that 35-38mm clinchers will probably not have the 'badass' gumwall look. Those tend to be race tyres only, typically in 32/33mm width.

Citius

If it's his bike. he can do whatever he wants.

Nobody said he couldn't. But in order to identify the right kind of tyre (badass or otherwise), some idea of intended use is always helpful, as I'm sure you appreciate.

OP
OP
A.Z.KOETSIER

A.Z.KOETSIER

Is there a standard disc size and axle size I should be looking for as well? to be sort of future proof for spares and upgrades.

Top Bottom