What to wear if cycling in the rain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A bit of a newbie and it's starting to rain now and I don't really know how to stay dry and be comfortable whilst riding in the rain. What should I wear? Or do I just have to live with having wet shorts when I'm riding and cold wet legs from the rain? Can I wear a softshell cycling jacket in the rain? Any other tips about cycling in the rain would be appreciated.:shy:

Lovacott

Über Member
I'm wearing a pair of waterproof yellow work trousers and a hi viz jacket I picked up from Halfords for £25.

The jacket makes me sweat a fair bit but I'm hoping that drops off as the weather gets colder.

On the way home, I just wear shorts and a polo shirt at the moment and get wet.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
A bit of a newbie and it's starting to rain now and I don't really know how to stay dry and be comfortable whilst riding in the rain. What should I wear? Or do I just have to live with having wet shorts when I'm riding and cold wet legs from the rain? Can I wear a softshell cycling jacket in the rain? Any other tips about cycling in the rain would be appreciated.:shy:

If it rains constantly through your ride you're going to be wet and possibly cold. The cold depends on what you wear.

What do you mean by shorts? If you chose cycling specific clothing these will dry relatively quickly though the pad is likely to remain soggy!!

I would expect a soft shell jacket to only be shower proof at best and probably very hot. I can't imagine one dealing with rain but I suppose we could be talking of different things.

In wet winter weather I will be wearing bib longs, winter shirt plus gilet or winter jacket depending on the temperature, winter boots and a rain jacket if it's actually raining. I started wearing bib longs, boots and winter shirt about ten days ago as the air temperature has reached the point where I start to feel chilly.

My top tip would be to carry a spare base layer. If you get cold as sweat dries against the skin a dry base layer makes a big difference.

In most UK conditions the clothing suggested above will do the job.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Maybe worth having a look at some online shops and seeing what they have to offer to suit your style of cycling.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Another tip I would suggest is to wear your gilet under the winter jacket. I discovered this quite by chance. The zip broke on mine and was prone to random unzipping so while waiting for a new one I did this. Works well for me.

My upper body dress is base layer/winter jersey/gilet or base layer/gilet/winter jacket. Then a rain jacket if needed which is rare.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The trick about riding in the rain, depending how far you are riding, is to be damp and warm. No amount of money will keep you totally dry as you either get wet from the rain or from sweat.

In winter for my 20km commute, if it is raining, I wear a long sleeve marino wool jersey, rainproof bib and rainproof armwarmers. On top I wear Gore C5 shakedry jacket and Gore C5 shakedry leggings and marino socks with winter boots.

It is an expensive set up. But I commute most days of the year.

But having a marino wool base layer will keep you warm.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Now we're in autumn; bib longs / tights and a winter jacket plus thermal base layer. A skull cap helps keep out the cold as well plus some decent gloves and overshoes.

You're going to need to layer up as it gets colder, with a waterproof / thermal jacket on the top.

Joffey

Big Dosser
I don't know how people ride is big jackets but each to their own I suppose!

I layer up - base layer, jersey (long sleeve or use short sleeve with arm warmers) and gilet. If it's gonna rain I use a rain gilet, of not I use a windproof one. Both light and go in jersey pocket when I get warm.

Wearing bibs tights too - sometimes overshoes or toe warmers, and of course light and heavy gloves dependant on temp. Cycling cap keeps me head warm.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
People all have different ideas what makes them comfortable. Some don't like waterproofs as they make you very sweaty - they do.

My commuter had full mudgards - essential. Waterproof panniers - essential.

Light rain, then I'd use overshoes and my 'softshell' had a windproof/waterproof membrane on the front so whold keep me comfortable and not too soaked.

Heavy rain, then I'd use the waterproof overshoes, with waterproof over trousers and a waterproof jacket. Yep, it was hot, but I'd slow down a little. Main issue was to keep my shoes dry. Overshoes alone will let water in from the top - your legs/trousers/tights get wet and it runs down into the overshoe. With waterproof trousers, the rain and sprat runs past the top of the overshoe, keeping the shoe dry inside.

If you regularly get your shoes wet, they start to stink, and you may struggle to get them dried out quickly at work.

I'm not cycle commuting now as I mostly ride MTB, but as soon as it starts getting muddy again, my waterproof winter boots are used. These are fantastic, but expensive. You can't really use overshoes well on a mountain bike as there can be too much 'walking', which wrecks the overshoe.

okigen

Regular
Hi all, sorry for hijacking this thread. I have similar questions as well. I've found a lovely pair of waterproof shoes but they are made of leather. Are they good for rain? To be honest I'm also newbie and never heard of waterproof leather before.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
1601888678099.png

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Hi all, sorry for hijacking this thread. I have similar questions as well. I've found a lovely pair of waterproof shoes but they are made of leather. Are they good for rain? To be honest I'm also newbie and never heard of waterproof leather before.

Leather is somewhat waterproof, but bear in mind the big hole at the top that your foot goes in will let in water regardless.

Top Bottom