What to wear if cycling in the rain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I've got on best with windproof fleece cycle-specific jackets. OK they get wet up to a point but so long as you keep moving your body heat seems to keep the inside dry and they're not unpleasant to wear. I've got a modest price Altura one, and a posher / nicer Assos one (which was just about affordable being last year's colour or whatever).

Also, as others have said: mudguards !

numbnuts

Legendary Member

Skin is waterproof

How you dress depends on the temp and humidity. Dress appropriately.
In colder conditions use the classic layers, wicking inner, outer weather shell and insulating midlayers.
Waterproof shells get clammy esp in high humidity. Softshells, windoroof outer layers and oddball systems like Paramo work well.

Inner layers do not have to be cycle specific.

Feet are always a problem. Consider some winter footwear.

Mudguards on the bike eliminate dirty road spray, keep your watetproofs clean and kerp you dry when the road is wet but it is not raining.

Waterproof jacket gortex or the like. Not cycling specific just based on weight. Depth of winter for instance Musto hunting jacket. Don't normally bother with Waterproof trousers unless i am going to be walking for sometime. Shoes are gortex leather, boots the same. And quite regularly wellies. Its all depends on how much walking I am going to do as the cycling tends to keep you warm enough

Brandane

Legendary Member
Any other tips about cycling in the rain would be appreciated
Avoid it if at all possible; it is not fun. Never mind the discomfort of being wet and cold, all your kit will need washed and dried after the ride. Your bike will be a mess; and in the long term, wet weather throws dirt into your drivetrain which will cause premature wear. It will also eventually get into bearings (in axles, pedals, headsets) and rust them. Rim brakes? Watch for extra wear on the wheel rims caused by the grime thrown up in wet weather.
If it still sounds like no problem to the hardy cyclist, make sure you are very visible to the clueless car driver wandering about in their 2 ton tin boxes who haven't bothered to read the instructions for the ventilation system and cannot see out of their misted up windows, further exasperated by the wet conditions and reduced visibility. These people are a liability at the best of times; in bad weather they are even more dangerous to the vulnerable cyclist.
Sorry to put the dampers on it if you were planning to go cycling in the rain, but IMHO it turns an enjoyable experience into a miserable, torturous, ordeal to be endured. Unless you really NEED to cycle, wait for the better weather and enjoy it!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
can I ask a daft question? are winter jackets like jerseys, so you need to buy 3 sizes too big? Getting one today you see online.

In my experience, yes. If you buy a fancy European or Japanese brand, you might have to go 2 or 3 sizes up.

I find British brands like Endura and Lusso to be better, but still need to go up a size.

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

If it rains constantly through your ride you're going to be wet and possibly cold. The cold depends on what you wear.

What do you mean by shorts? If you chose cycling specific clothing these will dry relatively quickly though the pad is likely to remain soggy!!

I would expect a soft shell jacket to only be shower proof at best and probably very hot. I can't imagine one dealing with rain but I suppose we could be talking of different things.

In wet winter weather I will be wearing bib longs, winter shirt plus gilet or winter jacket depending on the temperature, winter boots and a rain jacket if it's actually raining. I started wearing bib longs, boots and winter shirt about ten days ago as the air temperature has reached the point where I start to feel chilly.

My top tip would be to carry a spare base layer. If you get cold as sweat dries against the skin a dry base layer makes a big difference.

In most UK conditions the clothing suggested above will do the job.
Cycle shorts or bib tights, I don't want the pad to be soggy and to have a wet bottom.

I have a pearl Izumi elite softshell jacket- and it said waterproof but I don't know to what extent and I only realised after trying it once that I might get a bit too hot in it if I cycled in the autumn in it.

I don't have a gilet- when do I wear one:shy: What winter shoes would be comfortable for road cycling? I get a bit too hot in my current normal winter jacket if I cycle in it- if Im walking in it- it's fine but not for cycling.

I'll keep the base layer tip in mind :smile:

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

The trick about riding in the rain, depending how far you are riding, is to be damp and warm. No amount of money will keep you totally dry as you either get wet from the rain or from sweat.

In winter for my 20km commute, if it is raining, I wear a long sleeve marino wool jersey, rainproof bib and rainproof armwarmers. On top I wear Gore C5 shakedry jacket and Gore C5 shakedry leggings and marino socks with winter boots.

It is an expensive set up. But I commute most days of the year.

But having a marino wool base layer will keep you warm.
https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/2088928 this jacket? Will I not be too hot wearing all of this? A lot of my club rides fall on days that are rainy and I keep missing them and feel like I'm missing out. Also considering an audax and in case it might rain on that day- what to wear.

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

Now we're in autumn; bib longs / tights and a winter jacket plus thermal base layer. A skull cap helps keep out the cold as well plus some decent gloves and overshoes.

You're going to need to layer up as it gets colder, with a waterproof / thermal jacket on the top.
I get too hot cycling in my winter jacket- can't cycle long distances in it and Im not carrying extra weight or anything like that! I'm just considering doing an audax and with the weather being so unpredictable and it raining all the time I would need the right clothes and I have not been to a single uni group ride because it always rains on the day it happens :/// When do I wear my softshell jacket?

Gillets are ace. You can get insulated or uninsulated, windproof or waterproof. You can wear them over or under or as a shell.
A waterproof gillet over a windproof gives useful protection for light rain and intermittant showers.

Top Bottom