What to wear?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
It's getting a tad chilly for just a short sleeved cycling top now, so, my question is, what to wear?
I thought about a long sleeved base layer with a micro fleece on top. Would that work?

I don't have a decent jacket either, just a shower proof hi-vis thing, which makes me sweat.
Recommendations for something (not too expensive) and doesn't have to be totally waterproof but enough to keep me dry'ish if I get caught out.

I want to keep cycling through the colder months.

HorTs

Über Member
I stay in my shorts until it gets to about 4 degrees, but up top I wear a merino wool base layer over the top. When it gets colder I wear a breathable water/wind proof on top of that.

I wear arm warmers in the transition period and switch to a long sleeve jersey when its chillier or a longsleeve base layer under a short sleeve jersey or a softshell jacket is another option. There's no hard and fast on this however, last Tuesday and Wednesday night I was wearing a softshell annd 3/4s, and on Thursday night I was wearing a longsleeve winter jersey and 3/4s but Saturday and Sunday I was back to short sleeves, bib shorts and arm warmers.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Armwarmers are good and very flexible.
LAYERS! Layers are good, multiple thin breathable layers. Add and subtract as necessary.
Decathlon 'Mesh Vest' about £10, modern take on the string vest, brill summer or winter, helps keep you less sweaty. Brill.
Ski Gloves - Campri or similar, cheap as chips from Chavsports/direct.
Leggings - Ron Hill Tracksters, again from Chavsports
A cheap pertex Gillet (like from Decathlon) is a brilliant year-round article and very flexible particularly on variable days.
Outer shell - you can often use non-cycling kit if you can accept a little compromise.
Sandwich bags can keep feet warm and dry!

Decathlon has good basic gear that works well.
These guys are idiosyncratic and good too .... with a clothing sale on! http://www.inmotionproducts.com/

Last edited:

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Well you couls just pedal faster so you get hotter....seriously have a Salamon top I bought in a sale in George Fishers, plus a Mountain Hardwear waterproof,plus a fleece [Berghaus or summat like that] if it gets really baltic. Sealskinz gloves are very snug too [thankyou to the Bike factory in Whaley Bridge for recommending them].

Top Bottom