what tool do i need

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by 3tyretrackterry, 17 Apr 2010.

1. 3tyretrackterry

3tyretrackterry Active Member

2. Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

Er..to do what?

3. OP
    OP
    3tyretrackterry

sorry to undo the BB ive got the crank extractor but do i need a special tool to undo the notched ring

4. Gerry Attrick

Ah yes, ideally you need a c-spanner, either adjustable or a fixed one of the correct size. Now I shouldn't really tell you this as more lock rings have been damaged by using a hammer and punch to undo them than there are stars in the sky, but you could try a hammer and punch.....gently!

However, slackening the lock ring is half the problem, then you have to undo the adjustable cup. I can't see from the picture which type you have, but it will need either a pin spanner for the holes, or a thin spanner across the flats if there are any.

5. OP
    OP
    3tyretrackterry

on the other side is a metal ring which looks like the plastic version that are on shimano BB cassettes I also have the tool for removing this as well I am hoping that this is a cassette assembly rather than ballbearing and races

6. OP
    OP
    3tyretrackterry

fair advice but can you tell me if this is a sealed bb or a ballbearing race and ballbearings

7. Gerry Attrick

Personally, I have never come across a cartridge BB with a lock ring.......but I live and learn.

8. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

That looks like a octalink cartridge BB to me.

You need
    the right size allen key
    crank puller
    and a spanner to undo the BB cups

Its an easy job but if you are rarely going to change the BB, the price of the tools make it expensive.

9. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

I think its one of these
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=906

10. OP
    OP
    3tyretrackterry

Thanks for the info that looks like the one i have the tools other than the spanner any idea how much they are and where from

11. OP
    OP
    3tyretrackterry

have just checked the crankset again and there is a number stamped into it fc 5500/5503 so looking at it it must be an octalink BB
    thanks for the help
    i must need an adaptor to extract the crankset am i correct

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice