what tool do i need

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3tyretrackterry

IMG_0147.jpg

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Er..to do what?

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Ah yes, ideally you need a c-spanner, either adjustable or a fixed one of the correct size. Now I shouldn't really tell you this as more lock rings have been damaged by using a hammer and punch to undo them than there are stars in the sky, but you could try a hammer and punch.....gently!

However, slackening the lock ring is half the problem, then you have to undo the adjustable cup. I can't see from the picture which type you have, but it will need either a pin spanner for the holes, or a thin spanner across the flats if there are any.

OP
OP

3tyretrackterry

on the other side is a metal ring which looks like the plastic version that are on shimano BB cassettes I also have the tool for removing this as well I am hoping that this is a cassette assembly rather than ballbearing and races

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
That looks like a octalink cartridge BB to me.

You need
the right size allen key
crank puller
and a spanner to undo the BB cups

Its an easy job but if you are rarely going to change the BB, the price of the tools make it expensive.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid

OP
OP

3tyretrackterry

have just checked the crankset again and there is a number stamped into it fc 5500/5503 so looking at it it must be an octalink BB
thanks for the help
i must need an adaptor to extract the crankset am i correct

Top Bottom