What tools do you carry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
So, now I've almost finished my basic bike maintenance class, I'm feeling more confident about my acility to do a few minor bits and pieces on the road.
I've always carried a few bits, but not necessarily known what to do with them. I'm looking for a portable spanner, I've got a crap one at the minute, would like a better one if anyone has any recommendations.

Here's what I carry at the moment.
Crap Spanner.
Two tyre levers.
Puncture repair kit.
Multi tool.
Spare inner tube.
Pump.
Few pairs of gloves.
Old toothpaste tube (flattened and cleaned) for use as tyre boot.

Next wednesday I'm learning what to do in the event of a broken chain, so no doubt this new found knowledge will add to the list of things I want to carry.

What do you all carry daily?

Octet

Veteran
1 X Multi-Tool
1 X Spare Inner Tube
1 X Puncture Repair Kit
1 X CO2 User Valve
4 X CO2 Catridges (Simply to Fill the Room in the Bag)
1 X Frame Mounted Pump
2 X Tyre Levers
1 X Chain Tool

I carry a multi tool that has a built in chain splitter, but I can't remember the name of it TBH, it's a cracker though and is really compact.

I keep the multi toll wrapped in an old cloth for wiping my hands with as well.

I also carry a KMC quick link, two tyre levers, co2 pump, 2 cartridges, 2 tubes and a pair of nitrile disposable gloves :thumbsup:

young Ed

Veteran
So, now I've almost finished my basic bike maintenance class, I'm feeling more confident about my acility to do a few minor bits and pieces on the road.
I've always carried a few bits, but not necessarily known what to do with them. I'm looking for a portable spanner, I've got a crap one at the minute, would like a better one if anyone has any recommendations.

Here's what I carry at the moment.
Crap Spanner.
Two tyre levers.
Puncture repair kit.
Multi tool.
Spare inner tube.
Pump.
Few pairs of gloves.
Old toothpaste tube (flattened and cleaned) for use as tyre boot.

Next wednesday I'm learning what to do in the event of a broken chain, so no doubt this new found knowledge will add to the list of things I want to carry.

What do you all carry daily?
what sort of stuff does the maintenance course teach you? i could currently rebuild a whole bike fairly confidently but am not too good on the headset and am wondering if a maintenance course might be worth it? or if i should just ask my mate if for the sake of a pint or twos worth he would teach me!
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
what sort of stuff does the maintenance course teach you? i could currently rebuild a whole bike fairly confidently but am not too good on the headset and am wondering if a maintenance course might be worth it? or if i should just ask my mate if for the sake of a pint or twos worth he would teach me!
Cheers Ed
The one I'm doing at the minute is basics (despite being a regular cyclist for 15 years I've never mastered basic bike maintenance). There's an advance d course, but sound like you're quite advanced anyway!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Cheers Ed

just take it apart and put it back together again*... it's not rocking horse science, and there's a strong chance your headset bearings will be retained in a race, so they probably won't spill out all over the garage floor (like they did when i took the forks off my Raleigh Tomahawk aged 7 or 8).

so long as you lay all the parts out in the order you remove them, reassembly is a simple case of working backwards.

*unless you're thinking of replacing the entire headset, not just replacing/re-greasing the bearings... replacing the entire headset is a bit more tricky.

maltloaf

2 spare tubes
2 Pedro's tyre levers
1 CO2 nozzle
1 CO2 cartridge
Topeak mini 18+ multi tool
A square of old tyre (to use to block a big hole in a tyre)
A race rocket pump

BrynCP

Über Member
Not that I am an expert or go far but I carry:

A multi-tool (incl. chain tool)
3 x tyre levers (3 came in the pack, and I carry them in the pack!)
1 puncture repair kit and 1 strip of self adhesive patches
1 spare tube
1 frame mounted pump

Only ever had to use the multi-tool out of all that; when my saddle came loose.

I also carry:

My phone (useful for when I get lost)
5 x £1 coins (not sure why, thinking about it I should add a debit card I don't use).
Loads of tissues! I have no allergies, except to cycling it seems!

[QUOTE 2943814, member: 30090"]Nothing[/quote]
I did that until I got a puncture about 12 miles from home on Christmas Eve and had a long walk home!

Last edited:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
On my county lane rides where there are no buses, trains ect and no bike shops and no one at home I have to be self reliant so I carry this lot, it seams a lot but it all fits in a small waterproof bag and does not weigh much, any way I would sooner have the weigh than a long walk home, as they say so far so good.
1 P*ncture repair kit
1 Allan keys
1 set of tyre levers + 2 spare
3 inner tubes
Folding tyre
Tyre patches
1 small head torch in winter
marigold gloves
Small length of chain (3 inches)
1 small chain tool
Spare spokes
Kevlar spoke
hypercracker
Spare nuts, bolts, powerlinks
Wire cutters
Pliers
2 small screw drivers
Small sockets to fit screw driver handle
First aid kit with triangular bandage paracetamol, co-codamol, gaviscon tablets
Batteries for lights and computer
Small tyre pump (not mini)
1 Co2 pump
Zip ties
spare keys for house, bike locks
Phone
Pen and paper
10 sheets of kitchen roll
Very small bottle of hand cleaner
Insulation tape
£5 in small change
Small roll of gaffer tape
Brake and gear cables
Spare bite valve for camalbac
Small roll string
Spare gloves

Octet

Veteran
On my county lane rides where there are no buses, trains ect and no bike shops and no one at home I have to be self reliant so I carry this lot, it seams a lot but it all fits in a small waterproof bag and does not weigh much, any way I would sooner have the weigh than a long walk home, as they say so far so good.
1 P*ncture repair kit
1 Allan keys
1 set of tyre levers + 2 spare
3 inner tubes
Folding tyre
Tyre patches
1 small head torch in winter
marigold gloves
Small length of chain (3 inches)
1 small chain tool
Spare spokes
Kevlar spoke