What tools do you carry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
On my county lane rides where there are no buses, trains ect and no bike shops and no one at home I have to be self reliant so I carry this lot, it seams a lot but it all fits in a small waterproof bag and does not weigh much, any way I would sooner have the weigh than a long walk home, as they say so far so good.
1 P*ncture repair kit
1 Allan keys
1 set of tyre levers + 2 spare
3 inner tubes
Folding tyre
Tyre patches
1 small head torch in winter
marigold gloves
Small length of chain (3 inches)
1 small chain tool
Spare spokes
Kevlar spoke
hypercracker
Spare nuts, bolts, powerlinks
Wire cutters
Pliers
2 small screw drivers
Small sockets to fit screw driver handle
First aid kit with triangular bandage paracetamol, co-codamol, gaviscon tablets
Batteries for lights and computer
Small tyre pump (not mini)
1 Co2 pump
Zip ties
spare keys for house, bike locks
Phone
Pen and paper
10 sheets of kitchen roll
Very small bottle of hand cleaner
Insulation tape
£5 in small change
Small roll of gaffer tape
Brake and gear cables
Spare bite valve for camalbac
Small roll string
Spare gloves

:ohmy: why? have you no one that could pick you up if your bike blew up? i'm not sure i would carry all of that if i was touring the world!
Cheers Ed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
multi tool with chain splitter
spare inner tube
skabs self adhesive patches
tyre levers x2
couple of zip ties
short 15mm open end spanner
pocket leatherman type tool for the pliers
chain link
spare batteries for any lights needing them.
nitrile gloves
mini pump not CO2.
it all packs up into an old compact camera pouch to transfer from bike to bike

ScotiaLass

Guru
I carry;
a first aid kit, spare tube, puncture repair kit inc tyre levers, small pump, a cable lock, waterproof jacket (if not wearing) and small amount of cash (unless riding locally). In my jersey pocket I carry tissues, a drink and my phone.

On my helmet I have an emergency info sticker with my details incase I'm unconscious and paramedics give me something I'm allergic to!
I am not planning to put lights on the new bike so will be buying some small lights to carry with me incase they are needed.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
multi tool with chain splitter
spare inner tube
skabs self adhesive patches
tyre levers x2
couple of zip ties
short 15mm open end spanner
pocket leatherman type tool for the pliers
chain link
spare batteries for any lights needing them.
nitrile gloves
mini pump not CO2.
it all packs up into an old compact camera pouch to transfer from bike to bike

I have a little mini tool that I keep in the kitchen drawer for little jobs around the house. I had to use the little pliers on it this morning on my presta valve as it was stuck, which made me wonder if I should carry that with me at all times too.

young Ed

Veteran
Live on my own and as for family they live too far away and as for friends I haven't got any :-(
nothing wrong with that but even if i was 30 miles from home and one of my gear cables snapped i wouldn't bother replacing it i would just ride home on one gear
i don't ride with gloves unless it is blisteringly cold then i take my hunting gloves but let alone spare gloves!
but nothing wrong with being prepared i guess. :biggrin:
Cheers Ed

young Ed

Veteran
On the road bike:
two spare tubes, two tyre levers, mini pump.

On the eight other bikes:
absolutley bugger all.
nine bikes, nine bikes! an outrage:excl: i have 2 with one being out of action for the moment!:sad:
no jealousy over here though of course!
Cheers Ed

maltloaf

i don't ride with gloves unless it is blisteringly cold then i take my hunting gloves but let alone spare gloves!
but nothing wrong with being prepared i guess. :biggrin:
Cheers Ed

I ride with gloves to save my hands in the event of an off,

In one of my two tumbles recently, I had mitts over liner gloves. My mitts ended up shredded and up past my wrists (the stitching between every finger had torn away). That's quite some road force my skin would have taken if the gloves weren't there.

young Ed

Veteran

In one of my two tumbles recently, I had mitts over liner gloves. My mitts ended up shredded and up past my wrists (the stitching between every finger had torn away). That's quite some road force my skin would have taken if the gloves weren't there.
true
on average many times a year do you come off?
whenever i have come off i guess i have saved my self really by knowing how to fall correctly, still wouldn't ride without the helmet though!
Cheers Ed

maltloaf

I've come off twice since November. In both instances I didn't really have enough time to worry about how I was falling. Before I knew it I was on the deck.

young Ed

Veteran
I've come off twice since November. In both instances I didn't really have enough time to worry about how I was falling. Before I knew it I was on the deck.
rode all through the winter and never came off my hybrid with 38mm hybrid tyres
i have trained and taught my self effectively so that falling correctly is a reflex when i sense that i am falling i get into that position in less than probably half a minute
has helped on push bikes and a motorbike once or twice
it's the same as getting punched or some other form of pain you automatically scream/shout and go ow!
Cheers Ed

I learned the hard way...the first time I was clipped by a car my hands were the worst thing...skin off both palms and lots of pain!

Top Bottom