What tools do you carry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
rode all through the winter and never came off my hybrid with 38mm hybrid tyres
i have trained and taught my self effectively so that falling correctly is a reflex when i sense that i am falling i get into that position in less than probably half a minute
has helped on push bikes and a motorbike once or twice
it's the same as getting punched or some other form of pain you automatically scream/shout and go ow!
Cheers Ed
How odd that people go on about helmets (their choice) and then someone says they don't wear gloves or mitts in better weather. Being an old soldier and former race rider at a reasonable standard, I would NEVER race/ride without mitts. Your hands take a long time to recover from gravel rash. Honestly I don't care how expert and reflex driven anyone thinks they are (and winter gym training as a junior about a thousand years ago taught me similar reflexes) there will be a time when the worst will happen. Plus of course a little bit of padding between hands and bars can make life a bit more comfortable - after all padded shorts are the norm, and that bit has less nerve endings than hands!
It all comes down to choice, I suppose, and I choose to look after my hands.

young Ed

Veteran
Ms H has two and a half. I have five and a half; we share a folder.
bast**d!
How odd that people go on about helmets (their choice) and then someone says they don't wear gloves or mitts in better weather. Being an old soldier and former race rider at a reasonable standard, I would NEVER race/ride without mitts. Your hands take a long time to recover from gravel rash. Honestly I don't care how expert and reflex driven anyone thinks they are (and winter gym training as a junior about a thousand years ago taught me similar reflexes) there will be a time when the worst will happen. Plus of course a little bit of padding between hands and bars can make life a bit more comfortable - after all padded shorts are the norm, and that bit has less nerve endings than hands!
It all comes down to choice, I suppose, and I choose to look after my hands.
will probably invest in gloves then but i have ridden with borrowed pairs from my mates and never find them as comfortable as bare hands
also i sweat just sitting still indoors or out on any part of my body and find my hands just sweat like mad in summer in gloves so any gloves that keep me cool?
Cheers Ed

jack smith

Veteran
2 spare tubes
Lezyne glue less patches
Multitool with all the Allen keys I need on it ( sometimes just two Allen keys)
Spare batteries for the lights
4 tyre levers
Compact pump ( goes to 120 but herculese would struggle getting anything over 60 out of it)
Presta to Schrader adaptor for other pumps/ garage car pumps as more of the general public will have Schrader than presta generally
Luckily on my bike you only need two Allen keys to take virtually the entire bike apart.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
The following are permanently carried on all my bikes as they get used for commuting and general riding
Pump (attached to bottle cage bolts)
Multi-tool with chain splitter
Quick link
2 x tyre levers
Spare tube
Park self adhesive patches
Latex gloves
Carrier bags
Safeman lock
(all in a Lidl saddle pack)
If I'm going out for a longer ride I'll also carry a phone, PDW Shiny Object & CO2 canister plus dog tags with my details.

I carry:

1, 2 or 3 tubes depending on the ride length and whether its a solo or group ride;
A multi tool (with tire levers and chain tool);
Pump;
KMC Missing Links;
Mobile Phone;

I sometimes also carry a small scrunch bag.

young Ed

Veteran
I carry:

1, 2 or 3 tubes depending on the ride length and whether its a solo or group ride;
A multi tool (with tire levers and chain tool);
Pump;
KMC Missing Links;
Mobile Phone;

I sometimes also carry a small scrunch bag.
whats the multi tool called?
Cheers Ed

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Spare tube, puncture stuff, Topeak Morph pump (none of this Co2 a doodle stuff), tyre levers. I may still have a tyre boot refashioned from a bottle of pop in there somewhere.
Multitool with chain splitter (though I've never ever broken a chain or tested the chain splitter - I've got a quality one at home but it's too heavy and bulky for the road).
I used to carry gloves but never think to use them when things get dirty.
I think there might also be a cable tie or two in there somewhere.
A supply of pre-rolled cigarettes and a lighter.
Wallet, loose change.
Spare batteries and paper maps for long rides.

(Plus extra capacity for shopping - I live on the 4th floor so every outing needs a little topping up. Not a lot, a little regularly.)

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Good question and I always thought if I was in trouble I would just call a cab . Saying that my rides go further now and I only carry a few quid so probably not enough to get anywhere . I just assume that everyone would be happy with a bank transfer but do taxi firms do that ? I doubt they do .
To answer the question though .
Pump
Repair kit
CO2 and a nozzle thing that I have no idea what its for but it was mentioned above
Tyre levers
Spare tube
Mobile phone .
Ive actually removed the nozzle thing that I have no idea what it is for as I have no idea what it is for and removing it makes me lighter and faster .

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A spare tube and three tyre levers.
A minimal multitool with about eight hex drives
A Lezyne Road Drive mini frame pump with a flexible hose.
Three quid in change to buy a double expresso.
I don't carry a phone. In extremis, I hope to bum a phone call from a kind passer-by.

I used to pack a pair of latex gloves for changing the tube but I went through them in about 15 seconds when I was in a hurry to fix the puncture. In my line of business, dirty hands really are not the end of the world as we know it .

Top Bottom