What tools do you carry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Road
Chain splitter
10 speed quick links
Folding hex key set, 1mm to 6mm
Tube
Two metal tyre levers
Patches and cement
Cable ties
Nitrile gloves

Mtb
Tube
Small bottle of sealant
Weldtite worms,
Chain splitter
9 and 10 speed quick links
Folding hex key set
Triangular bandage
Three field dressings
Codeine and paracetamol
Nitrile gloves

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Road
Chain splitter
10 speed quick links
Folding hex key set, 1mm to 6mm
Tube
Two metal tyre levers
Patches and cement
Cable ties
Nitrile gloves

Mtb
Tube
Small bottle of sealant
Weldtite worms,
Chain splitter
9 and 10 speed quick links
Folding hex key set
Triangular bandage
Three field dressings
Codeine and paracetamol
Nitrile gloves
You seem to have forgotten the self-administered morphine styrettes.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Sarah,

As a woman, your overwhelming priority in the event of a breakdown is your own safety.

This could be taken care of by your husband/son if with you.

If not, always carry a phone and some money and try to be aware of what's near to you - bus routes, cafes, pubs, shops, public buildings, that sort of thing.

There may be little along the route, particularly if it's a path, but you are very rarely far from civilisation if you step off to one side or the other.

With that in mind, always carry a lock because you may want to leave the bike rather than spend time beside a lonely bike path fixing it.

Most of the time it will be perfectly safe to have a go for a few minutes.

As replies to the thread show, by far the most likely breakdown is a puncture, so you could plan for that.

On t'other hand, I believe you ride hybrid-type bikes.

The tyres on those are much less likely to puncture than the roadie bikes used by a lot of CCers.

I ride a Rose ebike on 2" wide tyres - never a puncture - and a Brompton - one puncture in five years.

One thing the tyres have in common is the name on the side - Schwalbe Marathon.

I carry a CO2 sealer/inflator which might work, but when I had the puncture on the Brommie it was credit card and taxi time.

Otherwise, allen keys/multitool for minor fettling.

I used the multitool a few times to get the saddle height right on the Rose, but have not used it since.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I don't carry any tools. I leave such menial work to my vassal... err, I mean my bicycle. In the true sense of the word 'vassal', my bike does the carrying, and I take care of the bike :laugh:.

Topeak Hexus II multitool*
2 tubes
wee pump
Scabs
chocolate

*regarding multitools, I think they're over-rated. The tyre levers are too small and the Allen keys are too awkward and fiddly to use. Try tightening a rattling bottle cage with an Allen key on a multi-tool! Infuriating. If it weren't for the chain splitter (which I've never used and only have a broad idea how I'd use it), I think I'd ditch the multitool for a couple of Allen keys, a double ended screwdriver and a pair of decent tyre levers.
In its defwnce I find the tire levers perfect and they've got mates tires off when their levers have broke. The Hex keys are fine for me too, I've used them thousand of times no problem.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Sarah,

As a woman, your overwhelming priority in the event of a breakdown is your own safety.

This could be taken care of by your husband/son if with you.

If not, always carry a phone and some money and try to be aware of what's near to you - bus routes, cafes, pubs, shops, public buildings, that sort of thing.

There may be little along the route, particularly if it's a path, but you are very rarely far from civilisation if you step off to one side or the other.

With that in mind, always carry a lock because you may want to leave the bike rather than spend time beside a lonely bike path fixing it.

Most of the time it will be perfectly safe to have a go for a few minutes.

As replies to the thread show, by far the most likely breakdown is a puncture, so you could plan for that.

On t'other hand, I believe you ride hybrid-type bikes.

The tyres on those are much less likely to puncture than the roadie bikes used by a lot of CCers.

I ride a Rose ebike on 2" wide tyres - never a puncture - and a Brompton - one puncture in five years.

One thing the tyres have in common is the name on the side - Schwalbe Marathon.

I carry a CO2 sealer/inflator which might work, but when I had the puncture on the Brommie it was credit card and taxi time.

Otherwise, allen keys/multitool for minor fettling.

I used the multitool a few times to get the saddle height right on the Rose, but have not used it since.

Husband? I haven't got one of those, I have a cheap substitute though, will he do the job?

400bhp

Guru
I CBA to read all replies but just a thought - try not to carry sharp items or items that can break easy in back pockets. Not nice if you fall off.

If I can stuff like innertubes and food will go in back pockets. Phones and tools in a saddle bag.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
I CBA to read all replies but just a thought - try not to carry sharp items or items that can break easy in back pockets. Not nice if you fall off.

If I can stuff like innertubes and food will go in back pockets. Phones and tools in a saddle bag.
I have a little seatpost bag with most of the stuff in, have a pump in my panniers.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Well, the codeine came in handy toady. Cubester spent yesterday morning scrummaging against a loose head that insisted on boring in despite a couple of slaps to encourage better efforts, and had virtually seized his shoulder by the time we sat down in the cafe.

F70100

Who, me ?
Husband? I haven't got one of those, I have a cheap substitute though, will he do the job?

When people use the phrase "my dear wife/husband" I always think they are implying that the mistress/toyboy etc is much cheaper :ohmy:

Anyway,
small multi-tool
spare inner tube
puncture repair kit
compact pump
phone

Top Bottom