What tools do you carry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
Have you ever had to fix a puncture with the temperature close to freezing, in the rain, with a near gale blowing? CO2 makes life so much easier, and the tyre so much harder :thumbsup:.
ah okay! :biggrin:
Cheers Ed

you carry a crank puller on daily basis?! and several full size screwdrivers? not saying you can't/shouldn't but i think it is a bit bulky and un-necessary? how much have you actually used the crank puller away from home?
Cheers Ed
Your right I dare say, however the crank puller has a good socket for tightening the spindle nut, which I have needed and not had perhaps once in each decade of cycling. As for the screwdrivers, good to have and not necessarily just for cycling or driving screws.
I probably only need the tube/tyre gear and an adjustable spanner and coins can work just as well as the flathead screwdriver, but the lot provides peace of mind when far from home and is much lighter than the 10mm thick steel cable lock, I often also take if leaving the bike unnattended .

young Ed

Veteran
2 spare tubes
Glue and patches etc
Glueless patches
Bontrager tyre levers
Topeak Micro Rocket pump
Lezyne chuck + CO2
Tyre boot (cut from roofing felt)
Topeak mini tool + hex key head to fit pedals
Park Tool CT 5 chain tool
Spare Keo cleat
2 AAA batteries
3 or 4 adhesive dressings, various sizes
Keys etc

All in a medium Topeak Aero Wedge saddle pack. Wallet and phone in a Topeak Tribag behind the stem.
I never carry anything hard or unyielding in jersey pockets as I know someone who's mobile phone caused him very serious back injuries in an 'off'.
would a roofing felt tyre boot be a bit thin? and the gritty side of it might wear/sand something down? i would say the best tyre boot is a bit of old tyre
Cheers Ed

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Not that sort of roofing felt, Ed, but the really tough green fabric stuff used under tiles. Might be a bit thin (but people have used ice cream wrappers or £10 notes in an emergency :wacko: ) - a bit of old tyre is often used, as is a piece cut from an empty toothpaste tube.

young Ed

Veteran
Not that sort of roofing felt, Ed, but the really tough green fabric stuff used under tiles. Might be a bit thin (but people have used ice cream wrappers or £10 notes in an emergency :wacko: ) - a bit of old tyre is often used, as is a piece cut from an empty toothpaste tube.
ah yes sorry i was thinking of roofing felt the black tar stuff i think your are thinking of building paper?
Cheers Ed

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Sometimes I carry lots. Bike stand, bottom bracket tools, headset tools, wheel hub tools, grease, spare cables, assorted brake blocks, noodles, hammer, chain splitter, oily rag, various odds and ends and a small Victorian urchin for the fetching, carrying and taking a beating. (My butler administers the beatings, obviously)
It won't all go in my panniers so what with the fold up table and chair I use my bike trailer to put most of it in.

youngoldbloke

Either some of you guys ride with backpacks on or I need to invest in a bigger saddle bag!

- large Topeak Aero Wedge in the winter (can also fit in a waterproof), and medium Aero Wedge the rest of the year. Backpacks or hard stuff in jersey pockets are a no-no for me.

Sharky

Guru
Just come back to this thread and read a few more posts. I am surprised at how many only carry 2 tyre levers. I always carry 3. I find it easier having 3 to be able to take away the middle one to move it further to the outside as I work round the tyre. Am also back to using metal ones. I managed to snap one of my plastic levers and at the shop when I went to buy a replacement, they only had metals one left. I now prefer the metal ones.

The other tool I always take with me is the tool I was using the night before to adjust the XYZ thingy on my bike. Especially if it had anything to do with brakes, handle bars or cranks.

Cheers Keith

Last edited:

youngoldbloke

With my current tyres I can dispense with tyre levers altogether (23mm folding Gatorskins on Shimano 501s). If you make sure the beads are pushed down into the well of the rim you can ease the tyre off, and back on again, with your thumbs - easy :thumbsup:. Reckon I carry them mostly for the benefit of others:smile:.

Sharky

Guru
With my current tyres I can dispense with tyre levers altogether (23mm folding Gatorskins on Shimano 501s). If you make sure the beads are pushed down into the well of the rim you can ease the tyre off, and back on again, with your thumbs - easy :thumbsup:. Reckon I carry them mostly for the benefit of others:smile:.

I'll to try that.

Also just remembered another item I used to carry - A Razor Blade and a Thimble!

In the days when I used to ride tubs, I used to carry one or two spare tubs, but I also used to carry a normal repair kit + an old fashioned razor blade, a strong needle, some waxed carpet thread and a thimble. With all these, I was able cut open a tub and sew it all back together again.

Got me home on a few occasions.

Keith

Top Bottom