What tools do you carry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
They are a soft sticky rubber strip that you force into a hole in a tubeless tyre to mend them. They expand inside and seal big holes ( well, bigger than 3 or so mm anyway).

Cubist

Still wavin'

e-rider

crappy member
CO2 pump, normal pump, 2 tyre levers, inner tube, glueless patches, topeak mini18 multi tool, kmc chain link

apart from the CO2 pump all this stuff is essential and the bare minimum IMO

double_dd

Über Member
2 x tyre lever
Inner tube patches
1 x inner tube
Multitool
Small race pump

All fits under the seat with my phone

Christopher

Über Member
Similar to the the others. I did invest in an extra bag bracket for an over-priced Ortlieb Mud Racer bag so I can swop it between 2 bikes.
Oh and I attach a spoke key on the karabiner I keep my house keys on. Over the years it has twice saved me a very long walk home with a damaged wheel. and I use a Topeak Road Morph pump, found others too inadequate or fragile. Bulky pump but worth the hassle of carrying it IME.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
A Crank Brothers mini-tool with chain breaker,
2 plastic tyre levers,
a packet of Lezyne self adhesive patches which also includes a tyre boot,
one inner tube,
and a small but effective pump.

If I am out with the family, I take a bigger Canyon multi-tool which has a 15mm spanner on it for nutted as opposed to QR axles.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
2 spare tubes
Glue and patches etc
Glueless patches
Bontrager tyre levers
Topeak Micro Rocket pump
Lezyne chuck + CO2
Tyre boot (cut from roofing felt)
Topeak mini tool + hex key head to fit pedals
Park Tool CT 5 chain tool
Spare Keo cleat
2 AAA batteries
3 or 4 adhesive dressings, various sizes
Keys etc

All in a medium Topeak Aero Wedge saddle pack. Wallet and phone in a Topeak Tribag behind the stem.
I never carry anything hard or unyielding in jersey pockets as I know someone who's mobile phone caused him very serious back injuries in an 'off'.

young Ed

Veteran
Never carried a multitool as I do not have access to the machine tools necessary to customise one to my own requirements, not sure whether I have even owned one. Unless you count the Swiss army multitool, which I only occasionally have for its wide flathead driver, and the blade which is always handy.
Current tally consists of this lot. View attachment 38684
you carry a crank puller on daily basis?! and several full size screwdrivers? not saying you can't/shouldn't but i think it is a bit bulky and un-necessary? how much have you actually used the crank puller away from home?
Cheers Ed

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
What's the reasoning behind both co2 canisters AND pumps out of curiosity?
You've only got one shot with the CO2 - I sometimes carry 2 cartridges, but the pump is there as backup. I also like to part inflate the tube before fitting it - more controllable with a pump, though you can do it by mouth of course!

young Ed

Veteran
You've only got one shot with the CO2 - I sometimes carry 2 cartridges, but the pump is there as backup. I also like to part inflate the tube before fitting it - more controllable with a pump, though you can do it by mouth of course!
why not just a pump? too much effort?
Cheers Ed

double_dd

Über Member

So why not just use a pump in the first place? :huh:

Top Bottom