What Torque Wrench

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
Belongs in a decent home workshop toolbox. I have a Norbar TTi50 mid range 8nm to 50nm which has its ISO certificate of accuracy.. pretty useful to note that!
OK, not cheap and only 1 drawback... it torques uni directionally... so leftie threaded fasteners, you still have to guess.... bit of a doh moment. Nice made piece of kit though.

pretty useful to know that after a few rattles around the tool box even in its case the accuracy will be changed.

we proved this on site with a panel installers newly calibrated torque wrench. its great when you do work in a test house as you have the means to check calibration.

fatboy123cycling

I agree - torque wrenches are a must for consistency to ensure nuts / bolts are not over tight and also to ensure bolts / nuts are equally tight, however, to be pedantic - each time a torque wrench is re - set it needs calibrating

I agree - torque wrenches are a must for consistency to ensure nuts / bolts are not over tight and also to ensure bolts / nuts are equally tight, however, to be pedantic - each time a torque wrench is re - set it needs calibrating
This is not something a bicycle mechanic needs to worry about. Calibration deal with margin of error, not consistency. The margin of error on a 4NM setting is way below the difference between a greased and dry bolt, way below the bolt's tolerance and way below danger. Let's not pretend we're dealing with dental implants or Rolex watches here.
Common-sense handling of the device will see to it that it is accurate enough for a lifetime of DIYing.

doktorbone

A tool definitely worth getting - I have sheared off more bolts/fittings on cycles than I would care to remember as a result of being ham fisted and stupidly having a "tighter must be better" attitude. Didn't want to make the same mistakes with my new bike so invested in a shimano torque wrench from Pedal On a few months ago. It amazes me how little force it takes to fasten a bolt to 4nm.

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/pro-components-torque-wrench-set-3-15-nm-.html

I asked a friend who is an aircraft engineer for advice on torque wrenches before I invested in one, he said there are only three things to remember ..
1) Never use a torque wrench to UNDO any fitting
2) Don't drop it, or let it kick around in your toolbox (if it came in a plastic storage box keep it in it)
3) When not in use, never leave it set to any torque value - always set the torque value to zero (for mechanical versions, don't know if it applies to digital torque wrenches)

The peace of mind is worth it to me knowing that stems/bars/seat posts etc are tightened correctly.

e-rider

crappy member
I have every bolt on my bike torqued correctly. You will need two torque wrenches though, one for low range 3-15Nm (stem, bars, post...) and one for higher range 15-50Nm (pedals, cassette).
Buying a bike specific tool such as Park Tools clickers ensures that it also works in reverse for reverse threads in BB and pedals. Non cycle torque wrenches typically don't work in reverse.

cut cut cut cut

Buying a bike specific tool such as Park Tools clickers ensures that it also works in reverse for reverse threads in BB and pedals. Non cycle torque wrenches typically don't work in reverse.

Reverse thread torque wrenches are not necessary on a bike other than for the bottom bracket. I really don't think it should be touted as a feature. Not that you did that, just saying.

In this thread: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/cassette-lock-ring-will-not-budge.172381/post-3475039 I describe how to safely fudge the higher torque required for cassette lockrings. Obviously it is best taught with an instructor but I think the average DIYer can teach him/herself the technique with a borrowed 40NM torque wrench. I really don't think DIYers need to buy a large one. Like I said, it is not a safety issue.

e-rider

crappy member
All my torque wrenches, covering 1to 400Nm, are reversible...must depend on the brand
but do they actually work in reverse or just operate in reverse. All torque wrenches will switch to reverse but not many actually work as a torque wrench in reverse

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
but do they actually work in reverse or just operate in reverse. All torque wrenches will switch to reverse but not many actually work as a torque wrench in reverse

On my (ancient) Norbar wrenches you just push the bar for the socket through to the other side.

Just found one on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Norbar-torque-wrench/171687647558?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140122125356&meid=a9c621dd37944c768814ad8d3b8269f2&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=151212273740&rt=nc

Top Bottom