What tubing did Harry Quinn use on basic models?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Frame size, say 22". A 23.5" frame obviously has at least 3" of extra tubing (adding together the longer seat tube and head tube), probably more if the top tube and down tube are also extended for greater reach. It's only a few ounces difference.

midlife

Guru
The seat stay caps are typical 70's nod at Viner and the like. Shore lines look neat, I guess the stay is flattened a bit for 6 speed, long dropouts were still everywhere, Portacatena only just released so shed loads of old stock.

The 531 decals of that time were a dry rub letraset affair and wafer thin so something might have been there and fell apart over time. The seat post size is an oddity, maybe they brazed the seat tube upside down by mistake as I'm sure it was thicker at the bottom end?

Nice neat frame though :smile:. Any pics of the forks?

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It's not a very exciting fork. Modern-ish crown and mudguard eyelets. Had a JIS crown seat, so bought ready-made from rhe Far East - probably Japan, in rhe 1970s. Luckily JIS is easily recut to ISO to avoid future headset limiitations (which is why the crown seat is so shiny - I only did it last week). HQ probably found it was cheaper to buy a load of 27.0 crown races - Tange still sell them separately for their own headsets - than to recut the crown.

42448614270_4f3fcef425_z.jpg 20180825_133523 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It's gonna be yellow! A nice yellow, either flam, Giallo Limone or a solid primrose yellow (like BMW Dakar Yelliw), not a cheap-looking canary yellow.

midlife

Guru
Yellow was one of Harry Quinn's colours from the mid 70's, unusual colour at the time in the bunch lol

Yellow solid as flam was on the wane.

classic33

Leg End Member
It's not a very exciting fork. Modern-ish crown and mudguard eyelets. Had a JIS crown seat, so bought ready-made from rhe Far East - probably Japan, in rhe 1970s. Luckily JIS is easily recut to ISO to avoid future headset limiitations (which is why the crown seat is so shiny - I only did it last week). HQ probably found it was cheaper to buy a load of 27.0 crown races - Tange still sell them separately for their own headsets - than to recut the crown.

View attachment 426839 20180825_133523 by rogerzilla, on Flickr
Is there a number, scratched out, on the steerer tube?

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
No, just an area filed fflatter with the frame number stamped onto it. I suppose the filing could have been done to obscure "Tange Japan" or something! it's the same fork as on other late 70s Quinns, though.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
needs to be lilac #hmhb…

midlife

Guru
needs to be lilac #hmhb…

Like my Chronometro.....

11a8had.jpg

Top Bottom