What TV are you watching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Enemy At The Door, it's set in Guernsey during the Second World War. An Irish barman announced that he was from the Republic. The Irish Republic didn't come into existence until 1949, prior to that it was the Irish Free State.

Enemy At The Door, it's set in Guernsey during the Second World War. An Irish barman announced that he was from the Republic. The Irish Republic didn't come into existence until 1949, prior to that it was the Irish Free State.
Fascinating.

(who needs a TV?)

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)

The Irish Free State of 1922 had effectively ceased to exist as such by the end of 1937, when it became a republic rather than a Dominion, although it didn't formally adopt the name Republic of Ireland until 1949.

So it depends whether the barman was referring to the republic of Ireland or the Republic of Ireland. :smile:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)

The Irish Free State of 1922 had effectively ceased to exist as such by the end of 1937, when it became a republic rather than a Dominion, although it didn't formally adopt the name Republic of Ireland until 1949.

So it depends whether the barman was referring to the republic or the Republic. :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
For All Mankind. It's apple TV, but I've acquired it 'by other means' - yo ho ho !

It's about the US Space race, but what might have happened if the Ruskies got their first (like between Apollo 10 and 11). Only seen 3 episodes so far, but the Yanks are playing catch up. Very good so far. Focuses a lot on the lives of the astronauts.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Forensics: The Real CSI. It's the second time that I've watched it, on both occasions I found out there were murders less than a mile from me that I knew nothing about. There's now been at least two separate incidents within the last year.

MntnMan62

Über Member
So, I've been continuing to watch Alias. I'm now through 20 episodes which puts me at or near the end of the 2nd season. I think I posted about my experience with this show before. And my take on it was a little less than positive. I said that I thought Garner was miss-cast in the role, feeling that it required someone a little less cutesie. I still feel that way. Don't get me wrong. She's smoking hot. Especially at the age she was when they shot the episodes. But being "hot" is not just all about looks. It's about attitude. I think she falls short. And after watching many more episodes than I did the first time I commented, I'm beginning to think it's attempting to be a parody of many different things. First of all, all the characters are so sensitive. They all have to say "I'm sorry" and have little talks with each other about how they are feeling. It gets annoying. And some of the scenes are just ridiculous. For instance, Sloane is seen walking in what is presumably the Himalayas in search of something. He's dressed in what appears to be a pea coat. And some regular hiking shoes. Boots would be an overstatement. He tells his sherpa/guide that he wants to go over the "North Face". And then they show what very well could be one of the world's highest peaks. It's snow covered. And neither he nore the sherpa have any gear. The Sherpa won't go any further. Smart guy. But Sloane continues on and they show him doing a really really bad attempt at a "rest step". And when he finally gets where he's going he sees this beautiful old monestary built into the side of the mountain. He goes in and announces that he's looking for Conrad. And take a wild guess who Conrad is. David Carradine. I mean the guy can't escape that freaking role. Talk about typecasting. I literally broke out laughing when I saw who it was. I'm sorry but I'm not so sure I'm going to be able to take much more of this series. And I'm just getting to the "sci fi" part which I have read was the series downfall. I know. Someone already pointed out that I am not the show's target audience. But I don't think that matters. A good show appeals to people of all age groups. This one just seems ridiculously unbelievable and too cute for words. It's like a parody of Mission Impossible, James Bond and Bruce Lee movies all wrapped in one. I mean, if it was supposed to be a parody that would be one thing. But I don't think it was made with that intention. Corrrect me if I'm wrong. Anyway, I found myself with some time so I've blathered on long enough.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I think I found something redeeming in this show. I was watching episode 2 of the 3rd Season and I saw an orange drumset in the area where Marshall works. It's just in the background so I have no idea what, if any, purpose it may serve. But it caught my eye. Especially since my first set of drums, and up until a couple weeks ago my only set of drums, are Slingerlands.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Brazil with Michael Palin. He was impressed when a shamen told him that he was an intelligent man with three children. Presumably Michael has never heard of Wikipedia.

Top Bottom